LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's already an official thread in the pre-allo forum, and I know I already asked in there and got a response, but I was hoping people with DO specific knowledge could chime in as well.

In the official thread it says 2 science LOR and 1 non-science LOR. How necessary is the non-science LOR? I have been out of undergrad for 2 years and have only taken science post bacc classes. I will likely (hopefully) have 4 science LOR, 1 DO LOR, 1 MD LOR (if I can contact him), and 1 employer LOR. The obvious answer is to call all schools and see what they say, but I don't even know how I would get a non-science LOR if I need one...

Members don't see this ad.

All schools are different in their requirements. All the LOR requirements in that DO msar like guidebook. Just read about each school and how important it is for you to apply there. i didn't have a non science LOR. Didn't hurt me.

All schools are different in their requirements. All the LOR requirements in that DO msar like guidebook. Just read about each school and how important it is for you to apply there. i didn't have a non science LOR. Didn't hurt me.

Sounds good, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did not have a non-science LOR. I had two science, and two physician (one MD and one DO).

Even NOVA, which specifically states they want one non-science LOR, gave me an interview invitation without one.

I also did not have a non-science LOR. I had two science, and two physician (one MD and one DO).

Even NOVA, which specifically states they want one non-science LOR, gave me an interview invitation without one.

Sounds good to me. I'm taking Psych over the summer. Maybe I'll try and get a LOR from that teacher before it's time for secondaries :)

Unless psych counts as science too...

Get those letter writers to start soon. Secondaries will be rolling out before you know it, and then you will be anxiously waiting for your writers to get done.

Get those letter writers to start soon. Secondaries will be rolling out before you know it, and then you will be anxiously waiting for your writers to get done.

Going to ask them all this week! Thanks :)

My science teacher took 6 weeks to get me a LOR. It's not unheard of to wait this long. Just FYI, but these letters should have been ready to go already. I got all mine done in March except for my DO letter (already had an MD).

In the official thread it says 2 science LOR and 1 non-science LOR. How necessary is the non-science LOR? I have been out of undergrad for 2 years and have only taken science post bacc classes.

I was in your exact boat...i called a few school about it...they said 2 science profs is fine