LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAPI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The real quick background is I graduated in May and currently all of my letters (six of them) are into AMCAS.

I am likely going to start work in a research lab here in a week or two and I was curious if you think it would be at all advantageous to only submit 4 of those letters to schools that say a max of 5 so I could possibly add a letter from this lab PI later - maybe around October after I have been in the lab for a while, but before AMCAS stops transmitting data.

I am verified and all already so I am starting to get secondaries so I'm not even sure if the schools would even see it as I would not have initially assigned the letter to them when I assign the others.

I just keep seeing on secondaries and websites that they like letters from current employers so thats all that got met thinking.

Any thoughts on this? Thank!

PS: I have lots of research experience and letters from PI's already so its not like it would be anything "new"

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that once a school marks you complete (after your submitted secondary and minimum # of LORs), that your file will be closed and the only updates they receive will have to be sent directly to them. Though I could be (and most likely am) wrong? lol!

Yeah, that makes sense - and actually what I have read, just did not think about it lol

I was just trying to figure out a way I could possibly get a letter from the PI as a kind of update because its not likely that if I include a sealed LOR with an update letter they will take it all that seriously as it could be forged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that makes sense - and actually what I have read, just did not think about it lol

I was just trying to figure out a way I could possibly get a letter from the PI as a kind of update because its not likely that if I include a sealed LOR with an update letter they will take it all that seriously as it could be forged.

You could have your PI send the letter separately.

I don't think the LOR will bring much to your application anyway. A few months in their lab likely won't yield a very useful letter.

I don't think the LOR will bring much to your application anyway. A few months in their lab likely won't yield a very useful letter.

I'm not sure I would completely say this. The lab is only 4 people and the PI is very involved according to the lab members, but I know what you mean with only being there a few months.

I think I won't worry about getting a letter from him at this point and then if I send an update letter at some point in the cycle I will just include that I'm working in X lab and then his contact info.

Thanks!