LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3Pdiabetes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I have a very specific question about letters of recommendation. For someone that works in healthcare that can't cut down their hours, who has completed their prerequisites and any science coursework 5+ years ago, but has completed the MCAT recently, how would you collect letters of recommendation? I know that many schools require letters from science professors. My two options are: ask former professors for updated letters (applied a long time ago) or take online courses. Has anyone had experience with this situation and how did you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

1) contact your UG school who still may provide you with committee letter as alumni
2) track down and contact former professors. Usually a few would be happy to "interview" you now and write a letter
3) see each medical school for specifics on letters as many have alternative paths for nontrads (see below for some samples

Letters of Recommendation Questions - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
I have been out of school for five years and I can not get letters from my old professors. Are there any substitutes for these required letters?

Contact each medical school to which you are applying. Some may accept substitute letters, some may not. Military commanders (for military personnel) and immediate supervisors (for applicants with lengthy employment histories) may be good people to write such letters. But contact each school to see if such letters are acceptable.

FAQs | Medical College
How many letters of recommendation do I need to submit?
We require either a composite letter of recommendation from your university pre-health careers advising office (preferred), or a minimum of two letters from others such as teachers and supervisors in work, service or research. Applicants should request letters from persons who know them well and can discuss their capabilities, accomplishments and character. A teacher, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, should be one who has worked with the applicant personally. If the applicant has had a substantial research, work, clinical or service experience, WCMC requests a letter from the supervisor in that experience. Letters should be submitted through AMCAS.

https://www.einsteinmed.org/download/?token=Bfi5DSkpUKCgp4SjHnLAJcmbBppT/Pm5fxxg3ONPE4o
Out of School For Five or More Years

Applicants who have completed all their pre-medical requirements prior to five years from the time of application must show evidence of participation in either academic or work experience in the biological sciences. Academic experience should include at least one course in a discipline such as cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, or neuroscience. Work experience may include research in the biological sciences, and a letter from the supervisor/principal investigator should be sent to the AMCAS Letter Writer Application, together with the required 2 academic letters mentioned above.

Application Requirements
Letters of Recommendation
We welcome letters of recommendation from individuals and premedical advisory groups (Committee Letters) with genuine knowledge of applicants and their capabilities, who can provide more than routine praise. Our Admissions Committee requires three letters of recommendation and accepts up to seven. One must come from a science faculty member, teacher, or research mentor. Letters from people who do not personally know the applicants cannot be given serious consideration.

Letters of Recommendation | USF Health
For Non-Traditional Applicants
If you have been out of school for more than two years, and can no longer get letters from a science undergraduate professor or faculty, you may submit letters from a lab supervisor or an employment supervisor. You still must submit at least 2 letters of recommendation.

MD Admission FAQ | Emory School of Medicine
If you are unable to submit letters from two science professors, you may substitute letters from other educators, advisors, or employers, but keep in mind that Emory is an extremely competitive school. The Admissions Committee will look for applicants who demonstrate a sound knowledge in the hard sciences, prior to attending medical school, and are able to provide recommendation letters to attest to that knowledge.

Admissions and Application Process - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Mayo Clinic College of Medicine & Science
 We require at least one letter to be written by a science professor. A letter from a teaching assistant is also acceptable.

 Examples of letters writers include: research mentors, employers, volunteer supervisors, physicians with whom you have worked or shadowed, teachers and professors, and other professionals.

I have read that some medical schools prefer letters of recent activities, including coursework, over "updated" letters, since those letters are essentially rephrasing what is stated in your application, in its updated portion. For example, if I got a letter from a science professor, who I also did scientific research with, a long time ago, that professor would have firsthand experience about my work as a student and researcher, from many years ago. However, the "updated" portion would just be rephrasing the activities portions of my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. Some schools state that this new portion to their old letters does not "add anything". Do you have any comments on what an admissions committee member would be looking for in the updated letter, after I am interviewed from a former professor? Unfortunately, choice #1 is not an option.

Last edited: