LOR recommandations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolfez

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So i am thinking ahead about the letters of reqs. I need and I am hoping all the pre-dents out there can give me some advice! Below are the choices I have!

Research 1- Have been doing research with this prof for about 1 summer and 2 semesters. Will probably be with him for 2 summer and 4 semesters when he writes my LOR. Will be a author of a HUGE research paper. However, the research I am doing is on epilepsy in the Neuroscience department. Also I have never taken any classes with him, and probably never will since he doesn't teach any bio courses, he teaches Biomedical Engineering (so that doesn't even count as science right?)

Research 2- Dentist-Ph.D who is working on dental research looking at providing dental methods to under-served population. Will have 2 semesters and 1 summer when she writes my LOR. She doesn't do any teaching that I know of since she is with the medical center, not the university

Dentist- shadowed for 30 hours. She works with people that has developmental disabilities. I volunteered for 5 summers at a camp for people with disabilities, and that kind of dental is what I am looking to go into and is what I am writing about in my personal statement.

Genetics prof. -Taking her class this summer, hopefully small class, will try to strike up a good rapport with her.

Physics Prof- taking class this summer, will try to also strike up a good rapport with him.

Advisor- an adviser for this prestigious program I am in at school for research and mentoring. i meet with her about 4 times a year and a lot at events throughout the year. I know people in the office and everything. She has a file on me and all. I think she would be a good LOR to talk about stuff outside of academics such as family situation, inspiration, volunteering etc.

Other than that, I don't have any other prof. All my other science classes were huge and the only math prof I was close with left the school.

What do you guys think? Who should i go with and why? Are the two science sufficient for most schools? I heard some schools want 3 science prof? What schools are those?

Also I am seriously considering a DD/Ph.D. so got to keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot! I have been worrying about this lately!

Members don't see this ad.

The letters from the profs definitely have to be included on your app.

Some schools do require 3 prof letters, it's your responsibility to find out if the schools you are applying to have this as a requirement. However, I heard that Columbia requires 3 prof letters.

Also, the dentist letter is a requirement for some schools and not others.

I've heard from many sources that typically adcoms will only read 3 (maximum of 4) of the LORs that you send in. So sending a multitude of letters won't necessarily help you.

I also heard schools like Michigan put a max cap of 10 LORs on their applicants. However, I think its very doubtful that the adcoms would actually take the time to read every single letter beyond 4. Just something to keep in mind.