Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

LoR requirements

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by BobTheBuilder34, 10.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BobTheBuilder34

BobTheBuilder34

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm new to SDN and had a question about LOR. I know most schools will allow you to substitute a pre-medical committee letter with 2 science faculty letters. However, I only have one faculty letter, but multiple physician letters. Are there any schools that will except 1 science+1 physician in substitution of a premed committee letter?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. baxt1412

baxt1412 Liftus Maximus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do not think I have seen one that makes that distinction. Best to just get another faculty letter

4. DaddyBex28

DaddyBex28 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends, you should personally ask the schools that require two letters from faculty and explain your situation.

For example, I'm a non-traditional student and I explained that it had been awhile since I had taken classes and it was proving to be difficult to retrieve a letter of recommendation for a second faculty member.

Some schools said my application would not be complete so I just didn't finish my app there. Others said it was fine and informed me that I just to submit the required total amount of letters and to let them know when my secondary was submitted so they could take note of the letter change on my app.

5. baxt1412

baxt1412 Liftus Maximus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, are you a traditional applicant? If so, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get another faculty LOR.

6. pollos

pollos

Medical Student (Accepted)
  7. DaddyBex28

Medical Student
    Definitely. There will be little to no lee-way/sympathy if you are a traditional applicant.

Time to mingle with some faculty!

8. BJJ

BJJ 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm in the same boat as you. Interviewed at kcumb a few weeks ago. Other schools I was able apply to were wvcom, vcom, msucom, both AT still schools, western COMP, and some others. Best bet is to look at the complete list of DO schools and check every schools website. My second LOR fell through at the last second and I'm glad I did apply this cycle.

DaddyBex28 likes this.
  9. DaddyBex28

Medical Student
    That's pretty much what happened to me. The faculty member agreed with write it and claimed it was written but never got back to me about submitting it.

Things happen I suppose

10. BJJ

BJJ 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah so much crap can happen during an app cycle that it would be hard to forego an entire year for something like this. I'm very grateful that KCUMB gave me a shot.

My letter writer had already written me 2 letters for other programs so maybe he got tired of me. Sucks I missed out when it counted. He was always saying how I would make either an excellent physician or phd student if I decided to pursue that.

About the ads