LOR sources for PhD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should letters of recommendation typically come from one's undergraduate or graduate institution? I'm participating in an established program in supports PhD to MD as an established track. As a recent college graduate though, I want to be sure that I source my LORs soon, if undergrad is where they need to originate.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar boat and applied this cycle. I am currently in my postdoc, and got 1 LoR from my postdoc advisor, 1 from my graduate advisor, 1 from another research professor in my postdoc lab, and 1 from a volunteer manager.

You don't need undergrad (unless it is a very, very specific requirement). For instance, many want a LoR from someone who taught you science. While this is normally an undergrad science professor, your thesis adviser would know you much better than your O Chem professor from a 100 person class, ten years ago. I got an interview at Rush, and they had very particular LoR requirements, but I was able to assign the letters for each specific requirement (i.e. they wanted a 'personal' letter, which was one from a research professor I work close with, even though that letter could also have been used for research purposes).

I had to deal with this when applying last year. For most places with being nontrad, they waived the LoR requirements. A couple schools (like Penn State for example) required a letter from every institution I had been at. I personally had a couple from my undergrad since I felt it was good for me to have a letter that can speak about my time there and some grad school letters so they can comment about my time since graduating. Absolutely have your PhD writer give a letter. You will have to check for each school, but generally the specific requirements are waived, but it would be a good idea to have 1-2 letters from undergrad and 1-2 from your grad program to cover your bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used letters from my PhD advisor, a committee member, physicians I shadowed and my job supervisor.

I was ten years out of college when I applied, and I did not have any letters from UG. As some of the prior posters suggested, you should ask the individual schools what letters they want based on your specific situation.

Reactions: 1 user