LOR specialty specific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but you guys are great with the advice, so...

how bad is it to submit a LOR that is for a specific specialty, such as IM or Surgery, if you are applying anesthesiology? If they are great letters but for another specialty, should they not be used?

The answer seems obvious but I'd hate to waste the letters.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean for another specialty. Did the letter writers think you were going into something else and wrote that in the letter, or do you mean that practice in another field.

If it is the former you can probably inform them of your decision to apply in gas and they can just change the letter a bit. If it is the latter, most people have some or most of their letters from non anesthesiologists.

This may be a dumb question but you guys are great with the advice, so...

how bad is it to submit a LOR that is for a specific specialty, such as IM or Surgery, if you are applying anesthesiology? If they are great letters but for another specialty, should they not be used?

The answer seems obvious but I'd hate to waste the letters.

What do you mean for another specialty. Did the letter writers think you were going into something else and wrote that in the letter, or do you mean that practice in another field.

If it is the former you can probably inform them of your decision to apply in gas and they can just change the letter a bit. If it is the latter, most people have some or most of their letters from non anesthesiologists.
The former. As in, it was early third year, got offer for great LOR and at the time was thinking another specialty so said specialty was mentioned in the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case I would contact the letter writer and explain that you changed fields and why and ask if they would be willing to update the letter. Most should say yes

The former. As in, it was early third year, got offer for great LOR and at the time was thinking another specialty so said specialty was mentioned in the letter.

In that case I would contact the letter writer and explain that you changed fields and why and ask if they would be willing to update the letter. Most should say yes

I agree. Get them to modify their letter. When I see a letter and it is discussing a different specialty and how great you will be at it and how devoted you are to that specialty, I immediately assume that anesthesiology is your back up plan. I am not currently interested in people who are using our specialty as a back up plan. If things get tight and there is another downturn in applicants, I will reconsider.:)

I agree. Get them to modify their letter. When I see a letter and it is discussing a different specialty and how great you will be at it and how devoted you are to that specialty, I immediately assume that anesthesiology is your back up plan. I am not currently interested in people who are using our specialty as a back up plan. If things get tight and there is another downturn in applicants, I will reconsider.:)

Anesthesiology was my backup plan.

My first choice was to marry Jessica Alba and be a housedad while she worked. Unfortunately she got engaged before I could make my move. :(

Anesthesiology was my backup plan.

My first choice was to marry Jessica Alba and be a housedad while she worked. Unfortunately she got engaged before I could make my move. :(

It happens brother. Sorry you had to settle.