LOR specific to desired field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticAnesthetic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but please bear with me as I'm an IMG.

When asking a professor to write an LOR for my residency application, should the author specify what specialty the student wants to go into? Meaning that like in the first line if he writes "I am pleased to write this letter for Jon Smith, who is applying to to your residency program" should he just keep it open by saying residency program or should he specify Anesthesiology residency program, or general surgery or whatever it is? Or at the end when they say "I highly recommend Jon without hesitation to your residency program."

I'll probably be using the same letter for categorical, prelim, and transitional year programs. so I wanted to know if it made a difference to the prelim and transitional programs.

Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Prelim and TY programs know that you're only using them as a means to an end. They don't really care what advanced program you're going into. So an anesthesia specific LOR is fine. If you happen to have an IM one as well (assuming IM prelim), that's great. But not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile