LOR Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humm1s

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm gearing up to apply for the upcoming cycle and I have a question regarding the timeline of LORs and the impact, if any, on my application evaluation/interview. I looked at some old threads but couldn't find a definitive or really comprehensive answer. (If one already exists, kindly direct me.) Anyway, I want to apply as early as possible but I just recently started shadowing a pod and I want the letter to be as strong as possible, which obviously should correlate with how long I'm shadowing him. Will the adcoms grant me an interview and/or make a decision if my LORs aren't in yet? I've read that they are a formality but I still want to have the strongest app since I am a nontrad. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was a non-traditional student, I was given interviews and was even accepted without a DPM letter. You can be interviewed and they will ask for a letter from a health care professional, you just have to send it before you matriculate, or at least that was the case at KSUCPM. I used a letter from a DO but I had shadowed two DPMs.

Some schools don't care too much while others will not allow you to interview without it. Make some calls and ask admissions if you will be considered for an interview prior to finishing your shadowing experience. It will still be VERY early in the cycle when you get the letter.

My suggestion is that you get your app ready and as soon as you get your LOR you can click the ever so satisfying submit button.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'm gearing up to apply for the upcoming cycle and I have a question regarding the timeline of LORs and the impact, if any, on my application evaluation/interview. I looked at some old threads but couldn't find a definitive or really comprehensive answer. (If one already exists, kindly direct me.) Anyway, I want to apply as early as possible but I just recently started shadowing a pod and I want the letter to be as strong as possible, which obviously should correlate with how long I'm shadowing him. Will the adcoms grant me an interview and/or make a decision if my LORs aren't in yet? I've read that they are a formality but I still want to have the strongest app since I am a nontrad. Thanks!

Quantity does not guarantee quality.
Shadowed 2 for a total of 30-40 hours and it was more than enough.

Schools will extend invites even without LORs turned in -but require them for acceptance.

Scholl seems to be the only one that requires them before they will look at your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Reactions: 1 user