LOR trouble?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ewt812

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what would you guys do if you were me. My stats is fairly competitive (3.6+, DAT 21+) but I am having problems with my LOR's. I currently have four letter from my physics professor, chem professor, social science professor and dentist. I know for sure that my physics professor just wrote me a really generic one (aka, Tom is a good student, scored well in my hard course...) and my chemistry professor wrote me a decent one. I think both of them mainly just talk about my academic performance in their class nothing about my work ethics, characteristics, etc. And my dentist and social science professor wrote me pretty good ones.

Now, I just talked to my other science professor and he is willing to write me a letter but I have to email him on the 25th to remind him because he is leaving for vacation. I have a feeling that this one will be better than other sciences because I just finished his class and we've talked numerous times in his office.

My question: would you guys wait for the new letter or just go ahead apply with the ones that i have right now? Assuming that I can secure the new letter in the mid of July, will that be too late to complete my application(secondary)?

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to know what would you guys do if you were me. My stats is fairly competitive (3.6+, DAT 21+) but I am having problems with my LOR's. I currently have four letter from my physics professor, chem professor, social science professor and dentist. I know for sure that my physics professor just wrote me a really generic one (aka, Tom is a good student, scored well in my hard course...) and my chemistry professor wrote me a decent one. I think both of them mainly just talk about my academic performance in their class nothing about my work ethics, characteristics, etc. And my dentist and social science professor wrote me pretty good ones.

Now, I just talked to my other science professor and he is willing to write me a letter but I have to email him on the 25th to remind him because he is leaving for vacation. I have a feeling that this one will be better than other sciences because I just finished his class and we've talked numerous times in his office.

My question: would you guys wait for the new letter or just go ahead apply with the ones that i have right now? Assuming that I can secure the new letter in the mid of July, will that be too late to complete my application(secondary)?

I would personally wait. Mid-July is not first batch for sure, but it is definitely not late and still pretty early compared to thousands of other applicants.

I say as long as secondaries are completed by very early August, you should be in pretty good shape.

LORs are one of those things. If you have good ones, they don't really help you. If you don't have any though (or have poor ones), then you are in trouble. Since you don't have any excellent ones, I would just wait it out because having a good letter in your case is essential. That is, only if you know that this letter will be good (or feel that it will be good)

I do have good ones, but just not from the science profs.