LOR writer MIA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdf1365

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
in a bit of a pickle here and don't know what to do. So, two of my three lor's are submitted, but one last lor has yet to be submitted. I last got a response from this professor May 22nd and have emailed her twice since then and called her today with no response. I really want to get my application finished up and this is the only thing I'm waiting to complete it. Should I wait a little longer and just keep being persistent? Or should I try to find another professor to write me a letter? If so I think I would get a letter from a former math professor I had. Would math count as a science lor?
Thanks for your time and advice guys appreciate it! Good luck if you're applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a bummer. Go for another letter. If she does end up writing you one it doesn't hurt to have four.

Math is part of BCPM so it should count as a 'basic science' LOR (but check your school websites to see if they say otherwise). I'd say it might not be a sure thing. Best of luck.

Lol I was in your exact situation throughout the entirety of May. Ask another professor for one while also being persistent with the one who is MIA. Just let her know how important it is to have her LOR as it is a big factor for being admitted to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a bummer. Go for another letter. If she does end up writing you one it doesn't hurt to have four.

Math is part of BCPM so it should count as a 'basic science' LOR (but check your school websites to see if they say otherwise). I'd say it might not be a sure thing. Best of luck.
Do you think asking the new writer to complete the letter by July 1 is too much to ask? I would really like to finish my application is why I’m asking. And thank you for the response :)

Do you think asking the new writer to complete the letter by July 1 is too much to ask? I would really like to finish my application is why I’m asking. And thank you for the response :)
Not at all, as long as you're up front and give an apology and strict deadline in your initial correspondence. 10 days is about the shortest I would recommend and you're just on that cusp. Just let them know that you're aware that it's a short time-frame (honestly it doesn't take that long to put a letter together) and appreciate their effort.

You're welcome. I understand how difficult it can be to get a set of letters together!

I had a similar problem with one of my professors. I found out he was head of the local EMS department so I called there and got his alternate email address. I'm not sure if you have any other leads like that. One thing that helped was emailing a professor who was around and tried to have them get in contact with that professor as well, that sometimes works. However if this professor has been AWOL for almost a month maybe try for another professor. I'm sorry, it's really crappy when that happens.