lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desdes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be shadowing for a few hours and would like to know the best way to ask for an lor since it will be for a short time

Members don't see this ad.

I will be shadowing for a few hours and would like to know the best way to ask for an lor since it will be for a short time

Depends what you call short, but if you're only there five hours total it may be hard to get one. I'm not sure how a doctor could recommend someone they have only known for such a short time. Some are more willing than others.

I will be able to observe four times this month with limited hours and not sure how to approach him about a lor since it is limited hours

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be able to observe four times this month with limited hours and not sure how to approach him about a lor since it is limited hours

First, just get a feel for his personality. Don't ask on first day. Towards the end you should ask him. The doctor i shadowed offered to write one for me. Don't try to plan it out. He knows you need one and the right time will come.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you I appreciate the response and advice

Yea don't even think about the LOR right now. Start shadowing, get to know the physician, ASK questions, and enjoy the experience. On your last day they may even offer to write you a recommendation.

Thank you! he is allowing me to observe for as long as I want so I am taking this opportunity and will wait until I have been there awhile.

Like everyone said, the physician knows you need one and will likely offer to write one at the end. When I shadowed the physician told me the first day that he knew I need a letter before I even said anything. So they are likely aware of this.