• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!



Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2003
    Whats up Guys, I have a question for all the vets, how does the letters of reccomendation work, since I'll transfer from the community college to a four year university next spring, I'm wondering how I should go about approaching the letters of reccomendation issues with some of my current professors. I'm I correct in assuming that the professors have to send the letters of recommendation to the dental schools directly, or can I get some letters right now and keep it until I get ready to apply.
    Please help this poor rookie out, thanks :(


    :) UoMBCDSCo07 :)
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 23, 2002
      I guess I'll chime in since noone else hasn't yet.

      I would check your new school's career center and/or pre-health advisor. Chances are, this has happened many times before so I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what to do. But just to be a bit more specific, here's what I think will happen:

      Usually, 4-year institutions have a pre-health advisor and/or career center. Your career center should have something similar to a credential's office. THis is an office that can hold dean's letters, LORs, etc. for you "under lock and key" for a small price. If your school DOES have this type of service, you'd ask for LORs (either from profs from the community college and/or the 4-year institution). Have them deliver it directly to your school's credential's office for them to hold. Your credential's office can then send copies of your LORs *at your request) to the dental schools of your choice or to AADSAS.

      Word of caution: When it comes time for you to actually send out the LORs, I strongly recommend against sending them to AADSAS. Instead, have your credential's office send them directly to the dental schools. AADSAS is notorious for screwing up/delaying the LOR process.

      PENN Diddy

      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 17, 2003
      West Philly
        Good question owusu,
        When you get to 4 year uni, go to career center & open up a Recommendations letter file. Then go back to your C.C. & ask the professors for a letter of rec that will be in a sealed envelope with their signature over the envelope flap to insure legitimacy. Then you can personally walk this letter over to the Career center & have it put in your Rec letters file. When you ready to send out AADSAS, they will send out any rec letter from a C.C. that you submitted as well as any rec letter from professors in the 4 year Uni. Hope this answered more questions than raise new ones.
        Best of luck!
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 18 years old.

        Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

        1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.