Lor--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blackstars

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whats up Guys, I have a question for all the vets, how does the letters of reccomendation work, since I'll transfer from the community college to a four year university next spring, I'm wondering how I should go about approaching the letters of reccomendation issues with some of my current professors. I'm I correct in assuming that the professors have to send the letters of recommendation to the dental schools directly, or can I get some letters right now and keep it until I get ready to apply.
Please help this poor rookie out, thanks 🙁
 
I guess I'll chime in since noone else hasn't yet.

I would check your new school's career center and/or pre-health advisor. Chances are, this has happened many times before so I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what to do. But just to be a bit more specific, here's what I think will happen:

Usually, 4-year institutions have a pre-health advisor and/or career center. Your career center should have something similar to a credential's office. THis is an office that can hold dean's letters, LORs, etc. for you "under lock and key" for a small price. If your school DOES have this type of service, you'd ask for LORs (either from profs from the community college and/or the 4-year institution). Have them deliver it directly to your school's credential's office for them to hold. Your credential's office can then send copies of your LORs *at your request) to the dental schools of your choice or to AADSAS.

Word of caution: When it comes time for you to actually send out the LORs, I strongly recommend against sending them to AADSAS. Instead, have your credential's office send them directly to the dental schools. AADSAS is notorious for screwing up/delaying the LOR process.
 
Good question owusu,
When you get to 4 year uni, go to career center & open up a Recommendations letter file. Then go back to your C.C. & ask the professors for a letter of rec that will be in a sealed envelope with their signature over the envelope flap to insure legitimacy. Then you can personally walk this letter over to the Career center & have it put in your Rec letters file. When you ready to send out AADSAS, they will send out any rec letter from a C.C. that you submitted as well as any rec letter from professors in the 4 year Uni. Hope this answered more questions than raise new ones.
Best of luck!