Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumoberrylu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my mom is a dentist and has her own practice. Ever since high school, I've been volunteering at her place consistently. The summer before I attended college, she hired me as one of her dental assistants and ever since then, every summer, I've worked for her (I'm going onto my 3rd year of college now). She pays me and when we are at work, everything is very professional. We don't let patients know we are related at all; I never call her "mom" when we're in the office. Basically, she treats me the same way as she treats her other dental assistants. My question is: Would it be bad if my letter of recommendation for dental school was from my own mom? I mean, they would know right? Obviously, I would have to state which doctor I worked for, and isn't there a section where they ask you about your parent's names?

Should I find another dentist to shadow/volunteer/work for?

Members don't see this ad.

So, my mom is a dentist and has her own practice. Ever since high school, I've been volunteering at her place consistently. The summer before I attended college, she hired me as one of her dental assistants and ever since then, every summer, I've worked for her (I'm going onto my 3rd year of college now). She pays me and when we are at work, everything is very professional. We don't let patients know we are related at all; I never call her "mom" when we're in the office. Basically, she treats me the same way as she treats her other dental assistants. My question is: Would it be bad if my letter of recommendation for dental school was from my own mom? I mean, they would know right? Obviously, I would have to state which doctor I worked for, and isn't there a section where they ask you about your parent's names?

Find another. Blood relatives LOR usually do not cut it for dental school.

If you need to ask, then you probably know the answer. Doing this would affect your application in several ways:

- Obviously the recommendation would be biased, therefore useless
- More importantly, the admissions committee would seriously question your intellect and ability, because it's an obvious no-no to get a letter of recommendation from a family member...probably the most obvious thing you shouldn't do
- You would almost assuredly be rejected from each to school to which you apply for the aforementioned reasons

Go shadow for, and get a recommendation from, a different dentist who isn't related to you and who can provide objective and unbiased feedback for the schools. You won't do yourself any favors if you use your mother.

If you need to ask, then you probably know the answer. Doing this would affect your application in several ways:

- Obviously the recommendation would be biased, therefore useless
- More importantly, the admissions committee would seriously question your intellect and ability, because it's an obvious no-no to get a letter of recommendation from a family member...probably the most obvious thing you shouldn't do
- You would almost assuredly be rejected from each to school to which you apply for the aforementioned reasons

Go shadow for, and get a recommendation from, a different dentist who isn't related to you and who can provide objective and unbiased feedback for the schools. You won't do yourself any favors if you use your mother.

:thumbup: .... submitting an lor from a family member would be sure death. I am sure your mom could refer you to plenty of dentists you could shadow.