LORs and what schools want to see.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many schools want to see LORs from science professors.
I would give an example from Columbia: "Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee."

This requirement is a little bit broad, I think. For example, I was doing undergraduate research for one of the professors in Oral Bio department. I did not take any classes from him because he only teaches graduate courses. He knows me real well though. Would a letter from him be considered one of the required "science professors" letters?

I am guessing my question could be only answered if I actually go and call each of the schools I plan to apply to. :rolleyes: But if you have input or have dealt with such a problem, you are welcome to let me know:xf:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would give an example from Columbia: "Three CONFIDENTIAL letters of recommendation from science professors or one composite letter from a pre-health committee."

This requirement is a little bit broad, I think. For example, I was doing undergraduate research for one of the professors in Oral Bio department. I did not take any classes from him because he only teaches graduate courses. He knows me real well though. Would a letter from him be considered one of the required "science professors" letters?

I am guessing my question could be only answered if I actually go and call each of the schools I plan to apply to. :rolleyes: But if you have input or have dealt with such a problem, you are welcome to let me know:xf:

Thanks!

You could call the schools just to be sure, but from your quote it seems straightforward. They aren't necessarily asking for someone who instructed you in a science course listed on your transcript. This person is a "science professor" and fills that requirement. I've been out of school for 10 years and my recommendations came from people who don't teach courses or hold the title of "professor".

A professor whom you had as an instructor is more qualified to evaluate your academic potential than one with whom you did research irrespective of how well you feel he knows you. One suspects that if ds were merely interested in a letter attesting the character of an applicant they would welcome letters from a pastor, priest or rabbi.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a letter from the oral bio guy would be just fine. Even if you didn't really take a class from him, I think your work ethic in a research setting is a pretty good indicator of your ability....I mean, if you are a diligent and efficient student in the lab, you're most likely that way when it comes to doing well in classes. I even think it would be a better recommendation letter than just asking a science professor- I have yet to have a bio class with less than 100 people, and my research professor definitely knows me (personally and professionally) far more than any bio prof does. I don't think its anywhere near the same as asking a priest/rabbi for a recommendation....

the oral bio research letter is fine.

A professor whom you had as an instructor is more qualified to evaluate your academic potential than one with whom you did research irrespective of how well you feel he knows you. One suspects that if ds were merely interested in a letter attesting the character of an applicant they would welcome letters from a pastor, priest or rabbi.

Thanks for the response.
I think my undergrad research supervisor would have plenty to say about my academic potential: I have read and analyzed plenty of scientific articles that he has asked me to, I have been a fast learner for the procedures. Isn't that part of academic potential?

I do have 3 "potential" LORs from my science instructors but I have a feeling one of them will not write me a "well-rounded" letter of the caliber that my research supervisor would. Simply because he doesn't know a lot about my academic potential. He only knows that I was a great student interested in his subject.

Anyways.. I think I just need to call the schools individually and ask. I think they would have different responses: some would be very strict, others would be understandable.

Thanks for help!:)

I think a letter from the oral bio guy would be just fine. Even if you didn't really take a class from him, I think your work ethic in a research setting is a pretty good indicator of your ability....I mean, if you are a diligent and efficient student in the lab, you're most likely that way when it comes to doing well in classes. I even think it would be a better recommendation letter than just asking a science professor- I have yet to have a bio class with less than 100 people, and my research professor definitely knows me (personally and professionally) far more than any bio prof does. I don't think its anywhere near the same as asking a priest/rabbi for a recommendation....

the oral bio research letter is fine.

You want to call and double check with each individual school. I asked UOP if my research professor's LOR could sub for a science prof and the answer was no. Different schools have different policies.

thanks for the response.
I think my undergrad research supervisor would have plenty to say about my academic potential: I have read and analyzed plenty of scientific articles that he has asked me to, i have been a fast learner for the procedures. Isn't that part of academic potential?

I do have 3 "potential" lors from my science instructors but i have a feeling one of them will not write me a "well-rounded" letter of the caliber that my research supervisor would. Simply because he doesn't know a lot about my academic potential. He only knows that i was a great student interested in his subject.

10-4.

If you did research under him, then isn't that a class? It is in my school, is why I ask.

If you did research under him, then isn't that a class? It is in my school, is why I ask.

Yeah, mine too...it's called Directed Individual Study (DIS) and we can get up to 3 credit hours of it a semester.

Yea, we had research for credit as well but I actually first volunteered for him (without credit) and then was paid. So I didn't actually get anything on my transcript.