1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

LORs for MD/PhD vs. MD

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by MasterK, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MasterK

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I applied to all MD/PhD + MD. I will have strong LORs. I got my BS and MS in Microbiology of Univ. of Hawaii. 2 letters are coming from profs that taught me undergrad and grad, and were both on my thesis committee. 1 letter is from neurosurgeon I shadowed. 1 letter is from my PI in undergrad and grad, who was a prof and thesis committee chair. 1 letter is from current PI, who is MD/MS doing cancer research. BIG QUESTION: should I be asking them to write 2 letters - 1 for MD and 1 for MD/PhD???

2. K31

K31
    Physician PhD 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Admissions committees will know you are applying MD/PhD. Your letter writers should discuss you in the context they know you--your research mentors should talk about you as a researcher, and the physician you shadowed should talk about you as a potential physician. If there are some schools where you are applying MD-only, you may want to consider getting two letters from some of them though.

As long as there is one letter talking about you from a clinical standpoint I don't think you should have an issue from an MD/PhD application standpoint--MD/PhD applicants aren't expected to have as extensive of a clinical background as MD applicants.

3. erikreinertsen

erikreinertsen MD/PhD student
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Agreed with K31.

Do you know you want to do MD/PhD? Why did you add in MD too? It helps the focus of your letter if you are a focused applicant yourself.

I had letters from several individuals who covered various aspects of my experiences and application: clinician, PIs for research, faculty from classes and extracurriculars, etc.