LORs for nontrads

Started by idoc2b
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

idoc2b

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
How would you suggest sending letters for a nontrad? I am thinking about using a portfolio service. Do you think the best way to do it is to go through my undergrad institution?
Thanks!
 
I wouldn't get so hardcore as a portfolio service. I just had each of my letter writers send directly to the school. I gave them all addressed/stamped envelopes, my resume/personal statement, and the cover forms (if there were any). For my academic letter, I did have to track down one of my undergrad profs, but he was very amenable to doing a letter for me.
 
thanks for your reply. the portfolio service was $15 and was recommneded by the advisor from my undergrad school. i thought it would be a good idea because i have applied to 4 schools already and am thinking about adding 2 maybe even 3 more. i'm almost a little embarrassed to ask them to send letters to each 6 schools. i guess its isnt a big deal either way though. i just thought this would be easier. i think only one school i applied to had a specific form that was recommended. how many schools did you apply to have specific forms?
thanks 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you've been working for awhile, you may also want to consider getting LORs from your supervisors/managers. I was a non-trad applicant, too, and I asked a couple people who I'd worked with for a long time to write recommendations for me.
 
I think just UCB and ICO had cover forms of the ones I applied to. I guess $15 is not much, so if you think it makes a big difference in convenience, then go for it. I ended up applying to 5 schools (UCB, SCCO, SUNY, ICO, NECO), but in hindsight I think it was 2 too many. I was a little worried of my chances as a non-trad, but now I realize that it was an advantage for me in the application process. SUNY gave me a provisional acceptance right away, without OAT scores, so I probably could have saved some money/time and not applied to ICO or NECO. Oh, like r_salis, I also got an LOR from a manager (whom I knew to be a great writer and a good friend) and one from an OD.