LORs for nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
How would you suggest sending letters for a nontrad? I am thinking about using a portfolio service. Do you think the best way to do it is to go through my undergrad institution?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get so hardcore as a portfolio service. I just had each of my letter writers send directly to the school. I gave them all addressed/stamped envelopes, my resume/personal statement, and the cover forms (if there were any). For my academic letter, I did have to track down one of my undergrad profs, but he was very amenable to doing a letter for me.

thanks for your reply. the portfolio service was $15 and was recommneded by the advisor from my undergrad school. i thought it would be a good idea because i have applied to 4 schools already and am thinking about adding 2 maybe even 3 more. i'm almost a little embarrassed to ask them to send letters to each 6 schools. i guess its isnt a big deal either way though. i just thought this would be easier. i think only one school i applied to had a specific form that was recommended. how many schools did you apply to have specific forms?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've been working for awhile, you may also want to consider getting LORs from your supervisors/managers. I was a non-trad applicant, too, and I asked a couple people who I'd worked with for a long time to write recommendations for me.

I think just UCB and ICO had cover forms of the ones I applied to. I guess $15 is not much, so if you think it makes a big difference in convenience, then go for it. I ended up applying to 5 schools (UCB, SCCO, SUNY, ICO, NECO), but in hindsight I think it was 2 too many. I was a little worried of my chances as a non-trad, but now I realize that it was an advantage for me in the application process. SUNY gave me a provisional acceptance right away, without OAT scores, so I probably could have saved some money/time and not applied to ICO or NECO. Oh, like r_salis, I also got an LOR from a manager (whom I knew to be a great writer and a good friend) and one from an OD.