justinpaws

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone!

New poster here, although I have been lurking around for some time :oops:, admiring and envying your stats.

I searched around but haven't found anything specifically in the veterinary forum, so here's my dilemma: I have two good LORs already in mind, but I'm graduating this year and haven't found a really good science prof for the third one. The problem is I go to a big university (300-500 students/lecture), and unless you do research with a professor, it's hard to get close enough for them, and for a long-enough period of time, to really write you a meaningful letter.

On the other hand our humanities classes are very small, and I have known one of my writing professors for some time. We keep in email contact, discussing all kinds of non-science related literature and culture issues. I feel like she would write me an excellent LOR...except that it's not really science-related at all. The most I could hope for is that it demonstrates well-roundedness, unique thinking, and good communication skills.

So, after that very lengthy explanation...what do you guys think? I noticed on your admissions stats pages that no one got an English prof's recommendation, and also that some colleges will only take science pre-req professors. I'm definitely going for Davis, possibly Oregon and CSU.

Thanks in advance!

sambone

Cornell 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I relate to your situation. As a nontrad and I took my science prereqs at 2 different large schools where it was hard to get to know professors.

If I were you, I would put forth a serious effort to get acquainted with 1 science prof in your last semester. I never really needed to go to office hours, but I forced myself to think of questions to ask, or interesting articles to discuss in order to make that connection. In the long term, you'll really benefit from this-the science based academic reference is critical and required specifically at some schools.

If you think the science recommendation will be weak, I see nothing wrong with supplementing it with letter from a humanities professor who you know will give you a stellar recommendation.

FlyOnTheWall

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
what do you guys think? I noticed on your admissions stats pages that no one got an English prof's recommendation.

I would rather hear from a humanities prof that knows you and can speak about your study habits and work ethic than a science prof who had you in a class. The LOR's from undergrad faculty are there to tell us how likely you are to succeed in a graduate program. Many of the qualities that would make a good grad student in English would serve someone well in a vet program.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.