LOR's from professors from 8+ years ago...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I graduated from undergrad in 1998, and the professors that I had exclusively during my time there have offered to do LOR's for me. Should I take them up on it? I went on a study abroad program with one of them that is now the chair of the Dept.

Just wondering about thoughts on this. This would be more to tie in with my recent studies at a different U.

Members don't see this ad.

MJB said:
So, I graduated from undergrad in 1998, and the professors that I had exclusively during my time there have offered to do LOR's for me. Should I take them up on it? I went on a study abroad program with one of them that is now the chair of the Dept.

Just wondering about thoughts on this. This would be more to tie in with my recent studies at a different U.

Sure, if they are willing to write a good letter (i stress good), then why not? I don't think the fact that you didn't have the course(s) recently would matter. As long as they still remember you enough to write something of your character, intelligence, maturity, or work ethic, then by all means, go for it. Remember, the "date stamp" is from when they write the LORs, not necessarily when you took their course.

However, if these are LORs that have already been written, and are 8 years old, I'd say no way. Get new ones. But, that's not the impression you left me with.

My problem was that my old prof's wouldn't have remembered me (10-12 years ago). I had large lectures for most science courses and wasn't the type to stay after BSing with the profs. So, I had to rely on my post-bacc profs for letters. They were all very good about it, and supposedly wrote some great LORs.

Good luck.

I did the same thing, graduated in 98, returned in 05 to ask for LOR's. I told him what my goals are, where I am headed in life...etc. He then wrote a CURRENT LOR. follow everything cfdavid wrote. good luck!