LORs- how does this work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotgame83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering how everyone went about sending in their letters of rec. I am shadowing a doc 2morrow and she said just to bring her the info for the schools I will be applying to. Heres my situation. I submitted aacomas however I have yet to take my mcat. My school wont write me the committee letter until october so my secondaries wont be complete until then. Does everyone send in their physician LORs with their secondary or should I provide complete postage plus mailing addresses to the doc so she can mail them directly to the school. Is it better to have everything in one big ass envelope which has any secondary forms, committee letters and physician letters or are you supposed to send them in separately?

Sorry for so many questions but Im new to this like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

gotgame83 said:
Hi, I was just wondering how everyone went about sending in their letters of rec. I am shadowing a doc 2morrow and she said just to bring her the info for the schools I will be applying to. Heres my situation. I submitted aacomas however I have yet to take my mcat. My school wont write me the committee letter until october so my secondaries wont be complete until then. Does everyone send in their physician LORs with their secondary or should I provide complete postage plus mailing addresses to the doc so she can mail them directly to the school. Is it better to have everything in one big ass envelope which has any secondary forms, committee letters and physician letters or are you supposed to send them in separately?

Sorry for so many questions but Im new to this like everyone else.

I'm using interfolio, http://www.interfolio.com. So far I'm really pleased with it although I am still just receiving some LORs. So far my professors were really excited about it. One told me yesterday that he's going to recommend it because it saved him a lot of hassle to do it electronically. For my D.O. I just put an addressed stamped envelope to interfolio from him so he didn't have to do anything online and he seemed very appreciative of only having to make & send one copy. I'm so lucky to have such great professors and docs though, I'm sure they would have done anything and not been to bothered. :)

I personally had my letter from physicians sent to pre-med committee at my undergrad school. They took it from there, but when I wanted some update letters from the physician, I had him send it directly to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that site is pretty interesting. So can you send LORs prior to sending in your secondary application or do most people send them in together. Or should I just give her envelopes addressed to the different schools, have her put them in there and have me hold on to them until later.

dr.z said:
I personally had my letter from physicians sent to pre-med committee at my undergrad school. They took it from there, but when I wanted some update letters from the physician, I had him send it directly to the school.

Oh that would be wonderful except my school seems to not want to help me at all in this process. I just feel bad handing her like 14 envelopes 2morrow lol. Oh well, she graduated UMDNJ in 2001 so she understands how this whole process works.

I have been reading a few deadlines and apparently some schools have letter of rec deadlines past secondary deadlines. Does this mean I can submit my secondary without my pre-med committee letter and just mail them them in later? Or does that not make any sense to do because its not considered complete without it.