#LORS sending in AACOMAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djtallahassee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, How many LORS are you sending through the AACOMAS system? I have 5, but all of the schools have different desires. I hate to send all 5, but the alternative is sending via Interfolio which requires much more management and $4/LOR. How do schools know which letters satisfy each requirement if they get 5 and only want 3? Is it a big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, How many LORS are you sending through the AACOMAS system? I have 5, but all of the schools have different desires. I hate to send all 5, but the alternative is sending via Interfolio which requires much more management and $4/LOR. How do schools know which letters satisfy each requirement if they get 5 and only want 3? Is it a big deal?
I am having this problem too. Some schools say they only accept letters from AACOMAS which means you can't cherry pick with Interfolio. My non-science letter is probably the definition of generic, however, Nova is the only school I am applying to that requires a non-science. Their website says they only accept AACOMAS letters so all 20 of my schools are getting that bland psychology letter that probably has my name misspelled.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe upload your good letters and send out primaries to schools that want them, then add your not-so-amazing letters and send out primaries to the schools that require them.

I am having this problem too. Some schools say they only accept letters from AACOMAS which means you can't cherry pick with Interfolio. My non-science letter is probably the definition of generic, however, Nova is the only school I am applying to that requires a non-science. Their website says they only accept AACOMAS letters so all 20 of my schools are getting that bland psychology letter that probably has my name misspelled.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe upload your good letters and send out primaries to schools that want them, then add your not-so-amazing letters and send out primaries to the schools that require them.

Yeah Idk. Surely others are having similar problems and thoughts. I'm OK with all of my LORs going out. Just worried schools will find it obnoxious. I think KCOM only wants 2 and I have 5 lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Idk. Surely others are having similar problems and thoughts. I'm OK with all of my LORs going out. Just worried schools will find it obnoxious. I think KCOM only wants 2 and I have 5 lol
Well according to Nova's website, you must have 2 science, one-nonscience and a DO letter PLUS only AACOMAS letters. Anyone applying to Nova is going to be sending out atleast 4 letters to every school.

I'm worried about this as well... I currently have 5 and might add one more if my MCAT is strong enough to apply to Nova lol.

Edit: There's an ADCOM in another thread currently saying it will hurt you; however, I guess AMCAS is different than AACOMAS in that you can choose which letters go to which schools with AMCAS. I can't imagine DO schools penalizing applicants for more than the required for their school.

I'm worried about this as well... I currently have 5 and might add one more if my MCAT is strong enough to apply to Nova lol.

Edit: There's an ADCOM in another thread currently saying it will hurt you; however, I guess AMCAS is different than AACOMAS in that you can choose which letters go to which schools with AMCAS. I can't imagine DO schools penalizing applicants for more than the required for their school.

Yeah I know for amcas they say don't do it, but there is much more flexibility. I guess for me it's too late because I've already put them in and applied with them in AACOMAS. I am Trying to call a school now to see how they view this. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes. The AMCAS allows you to choose which letters are sent to which schools. Unfortunately, the AACOMAS does not have this option. Sending your primary twice doesn't really work because the AACOMAS sends in the LOR's on a rolling basis. They send each letter as they are received, so they will update those schools that you sent your "first" primary to, if that makes sense.

I can't say this for every school, but on some secondary applications, they allow you to designate which letters they will look at. For example, at ATSU-KCOM, they specifically have a tab for LOR's, and they only allow you to fill in two, one for your committee letter and one for a D.O. letter, which is all they require. I assume they ignore the rest.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. The AMCAS allows you to choose which letters are sent to which schools. Unfortunately, the AACOMAS does not have this option. Sending your primary twice doesn't really work because the AACOMAS sends in the LOR's on a rolling basis. They send each letter as they are received, so they will update those schools that you sent your "first" primary to, if that makes sense.

I can't say this for every school, but on some secondary applications, they allow you to designate which letters they will look at. For example, at ATSU-KCOM, they specifically have a tab for LOR's, and they only allow you to fill in two, one for your committee letter and one for a D.O. letter, which is all they require. I assume they ignore the rest.

Good luck.
This is good to know. Thanks!

Good luck.
Oh this is awesome! I wonder how this works if you don't have a committee letter though.

Oh this is awesome! I wonder how this works if you don't have a committee letter though.

They allow a substitute.

Here are the instructions from the KCOM secondary specifically:

Two evaluations, not written by relatives to applicant either by blood or marriage, are required to complete an application for admission:

Evaluation I from an official premedical advisory committee (if no committee, you may substitute a letter from a premedical advisor or science faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic work).

Evaluation II from a physician (D.O. or M.D.) *

Please list the names of the individuals who will write your required letters of evaluation. Your file will not be complete nor can you be considered for admission until these two required evaluations are received. If the individuals listed below change, please contact the Admissions Office; failure to report changes will delay the review and consideration of your application.

* We encourage you to include a D.O. physician evaluation/letter, but it is not required.

They allow a substitute.

Here are the instructions from the KCOM secondary specifically:

Two evaluations, not written by relatives to applicant either by blood or marriage, are required to complete an application for admission:

Evaluation I from an official premedical advisory committee (if no committee, you may substitute a letter from a premedical advisor or science faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic work).

Evaluation II from a physician (D.O. or M.D.) *

Please list the names of the individuals who will write your required letters of evaluation. Your file will not be complete nor can you be considered for admission until these two required evaluations are received. If the individuals listed below change, please contact the Admissions Office; failure to report changes will delay the review and consideration of your application.

* We encourage you to include a D.O. physician evaluation/letter, but it is not required.
Thank you! This is helpful.