LOR's when you don't know the professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tedmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on getting an LOR from a professor you don't know?

I have everything lined up, finished pre-reqs, taking MCAT in a couple weeks, shadowing and I have 4 excellent LOR's but only one of them is from a science professor. I know I need 1 more science professor LOR before applying. I don't even need an excellent one really, my other letter writers are excellent. I just need an LOR to basically fill the requirement. I need some advice on obtaining this.

The problem, as many of you non-trads know, is that because I'm only taking the pre-reqs I've been in these large lecture style courses with 200+ students. The professors are teaching a couple sections of these types of classes so have hundreds and hundreds of students per semester. I took them at UCF which is the 2nd largest university in the country, so even when I went to office hours I was in there with 10 others students. Anyways, thats enough of my excuses I simply was only able to establish a relationship with one science teacher who has already written me a recommendation.

I have received an A in all my pre-req courses at this University, so I have 4 other potential professors to hit up all with the same potential. Anyone have any ideas on how to approach this? The professors wouldn't be able to pick me out of a crowd.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what I would do:

E-mail the professor, state the class you were in, the grade you received in the class and when you took the class. Explain how you enjoyed the class, and how you are planning to apply to medical school. Attach a CV and a paragraph about what your background is. Ask if the professor, given this information, would be comfortable writing you a letter of recommendation.

Most professors are happy to do this for students. Granted, the letter will be generic as hell, but sometimes you just need to check off that box.

I feel that way about getting at least 30 on the MCAT. Granted, I can't seem to stop making stupid mistakes when timed!

E-mail the professor, state the class you were in, the grade you received in the class and when you took the class. Explain how you enjoyed the class, and how you are planning to apply to medical school. Attach a CV and a paragraph about what your background is. Ask if the professor, given this information, would be comfortable writing you a letter of recommendation.

^ That's exactly what I did, ended up emailing about 7 profs, most of whom I had taken classes from 3-6years prior. 1 said no, 3 said yes and didn't hear back from the rest (though it was in the middle of summer so I should have followed up but I had my required letters at that point).

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: Guys, first off, thanks for the advice and replies. Basically got me motivated to just shoot these out.

I sent out 4 emails this morning, slightly tailored to each professor but basically the same message.

Good news: I got a hit. The professor replied back and asked to set an appointment with her to come visit her in office hours because she doesn't remember me exactly and wants to talk about my background.

I have another question though, this teacher is an Intro to Chemistry professor, does that matter? It's quite obviously a science course but it's not one of the pre-requisites for medical school.

What I mean is, I didn't pass my universities chemistry entrance exam so I had to take an Intro to Chemistry course which is a 4 credit class with a lab PRIOR to taking the full year of Gen Chem w/ lab.

This still counts as filling a science LOR right?

Please advise!

Yes, it fits the bill.

Here is basically whom I'm asking:
- An o-chem teacher I had a few yrs ago when I started my post-bac (2009ish). I'm pretty sure he'll vaguely remember me since I used to sit in front and e-mailed him a lot since I couldn't solve much of the o-chem hw.
- A g-chem teacher I just had. I wasn't the top student in class or anything, but she was friendly and I got an A- so I figure what the hell.
- A physics lab professor. I think he would write the better of the recommendations since it was a lab and we had lot of interaction.

Honestly, for us non-trads it is hard enough to get these... I'm getting my non-science one from a professor who added me to facebook randomly (had her in 2002). Take whatever you can get and run with.