LORs

nelso355

Jan 17, 2013
  1. DPT / OTD
    What makes a good LOR? What are schools looking for in a LORs? Is waiving your rights to the LOR really necessary? I'm just looking for your opinions and suggestions. Or if you could direct me to a place with this information. Thanks!

Lucky Duck

Jan 26, 2013
    1. Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
      First is who to get a LOR from. Each school has different requirements so check to see exactly what they want. I would recommend 2 from PTs and at least 1 from a professor (preferably a science prof). Other potential people that might be good are former employers and your major adviser.

Pick people that know you and you have had good experience with. Getting a LOR from someone who doesn't really like you is extremely counter productive. They should be able to speak about your potential as PT, your character, work ethic, and/or your academic ability. Maybe they can't do all of these things but that is why you get multiple recommenders.

If you don't already have the relationships in place to get a good set of LOR, then start making an effort to get them. Which maybe means working especially hard in a class and going consistently to that prof's office hours. I had a class that I enjoyed and really like the prof. I decided he would be a great reference so I went to more office hours, worked hard for every point in that class (sometimes I might not have worried as much about about a half point here and there), and didn't miss any classes. So yea I am a decent student, I'm pretty smart, I work pretty hard, but I also showed my prof I was all of these things. You can't just show up once you have to be consistent.

Once you identified your people get them a copy of your cover letter and resume. Maybe even talk to them more if they need clarification.

I had one school ask for one from a introductory or general science course (basically physics, chem, bio, and they might have counted anat and/or physiology). I went to a large state school with 150+ in those classes and they were several years ago, there is no way I could get a LOR that would do me any good. Getting a letter from someone who barely knows who you are isn't going to help your app. Instead I got letters from 2 profs that taught upper division classes (with class sizes of 35 people and 3 people) in physiology classes. I am wait listed at that school so they didn't throw out my app.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.