COVID-19; How are you handling getting LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicaltherapyapplicant

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

I had a question to anyone who is applying this cycle OR would just like to offer some advice. First, I'll give some background information to help keep advice in context. I'm a reapplicant this cycle and graduated in December. I currently work as a technician at an outpatient facility. My question/concern is in regards to LOR's. Many schools require 2 PT related LOR's and I'm concerned with being able to get a second LOR that is PT related. I plan on acquiring a LOR from the PT I currently work under and was planning on asking a PT I was shadowing at a pediatric clinic for a second LOR. However, the pediatric clinic has temporarily closed due to COVID. I hope that they will open (safely, of course) in the summer, so that I have a chance to finish my observation experience and hopefully be able to acquire a LOR. However, I am keeping a realistic view of things and if they do choose to open soon I do not see them allowing students to return right away.

I'm keeping up to date with schools that I am going to apply for and while some have made alterations to the requirements due to COVID I don't see any schools altering the PT LOR requirement. Although I have shadowed previously at other facilities and asked for LOR's from those PT's last cycle, I do not want to ask again as it has been over a year and I do not feel these LOR's will be up to par.

How is everyone else handling this situation? Since the clinic I currently work for has multiple facilities across the metroplex, I've wondered if I should spend time at another facility in order to continue gaining observation hours and make connections with other PT's that I could possibly ask for a LOR?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

How much shadowing at the peds clinic have you already done? Seems like if you had started you could still get a letter. Otherwise, also not bad to go back to your previous letters. I think the quota of PT letters is more to make sure you've interacted with at least 2 PTs (and I"m more use to seeing just 1 PT letter needed). These letters are more to look for red flags than anything else, so I wouldn't sweat them too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, I had just started observing at the peds clinic. :( I've only observed around 8 to 9 hours so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yeah, even if you just had one more full day in I'd say it is ok but that is little. Anything you could do for them to help them now? If they are doing telehealth, they might need a support person to help get the family set up? Or anything like preparing handouts or something? Otherwise I'd go with your previous clinic.

Some of the programs I have contacted have said they're going to be lenient on that requirement and you could use a professional/academic reference in its place. Also, some have said that they aren't looking for the letters to be as specific this cycle due to the circumstances.
As far as what to do, I've got no advice because I was supposed to start getting observation hours in March, but that didn't happen.

That's what I assume (or hope) they will do! I haven't contacted any programs, but if it continues I'll start contacting some to see what their plans are. Good idea!