Los Angeles Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulStudent8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I hate to bog down the forum with threats about housing, but I'll be moving to LA from across the country (Rhode Island, one of the furthest things from LA in more than one way), and I have no idea what areas are both affordable, safe, and a feasible distance from Westwood. I've heard that Palms is nice, and Santa Monica is gorgeous, but both are a little pricey. Van Nuys is affordable, but I'm not sure if traveling from there to Westwood is possible.

Please help! I would appreciate any suggestions!:)

Members don't see this ad.

So I hate to bog down the forum with threats about housing, but I'll be moving to LA from across the country (Rhode Island, one of the furthest things from LA in more than one way), and I have no idea what areas are both affordable, safe, and a feasible distance from Westwood. I've heard that Palms is nice, and Santa Monica is gorgeous, but both are a little pricey. Van Nuys is affordable, but I'm not sure if traveling from there to Westwood is possible.

Try Culver City!

Believe me, I hear you. I'm doing the Boston > LA move, originally from RI. Frightening. It's going to be a HUGE adjustment.

I have done a little research on housing in LA. Santa Monica is beautiful and can be pricey, but it gets cheaper the further inland you look from the beach. Even though it may mean more loans for me, I'm willing to pay a little more to enjoy the benefits of my surroundings.

I have heard of some UCLA students living in Venice and Marina del Rey. I think they are more affordable and public transportation is accessible. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I did my master's there I lived right at the tail end of Westwood. Great because I was out of undergrad territory but close enough to walk. I lived on Santa Monica Blvd and Westwood Blvd. 25 cent ride on the bus if I was lazy. Awesome area, reasonable apartment prices, mature students. Really, really close to the mall. If you are not doing grad housing, other options are Palms (further and not quite as nice as Westwood), Brentwood (fancy but very hip and still somewhat reasonable) or Santa Monica (can be pricey, just depends on what you find).

I would not do Van Nuys. Keep in mind that when it comes to the 405 or the 10 (freeways near UCLA) 30 miles can easily take 90 minutes, and that's any time of day. Find somewhere you can walk or hop the bus (and the bus doesn't have to do freeway travel). I spent $2100 for a 2+2 which was pretty reasonable 2 years ago.

I actually lived in Van Nuys (with the parents) when I went to undergraduate at UCLA. It's going to be 45 mins-1 hr in the morning down Beverly Glen and maybe a similar time back depending on when you're coming back. So no, it's not worth it unless the living is free. Sherman Oaks is a good neighborhood and 10-15 minutes closer to UCLA, while still having the cheapness of the Valley. Palms is close to UCLA and lots of students live there while taking the bus to UCLA. You can get a 2 bedroom there for around 1400 to rent, which is pretty good given that it's about 5 miles from UCLA. It'll be a good choice if you can't get parking at UCLA, which can definitely happen.

This is all great feedback! Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate it.

I don't know what your plans are for actually finding an apartment once you've narrowed down the area, but I think a membership at westsiderentals.com is definitely worth it. That's what I used when I moved to LA 2 years ago and it has tons of listings at all price points. I think it's the only feasible way to check out apartments from afar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved to LA a few months ago. I researched the heck out of this place and finally settled in the Santa Clarita area (north of LA, lot less city-like). LA is HUGE and where you live should be focused on where you will work or go to school. I have friends that live at the beach, others that live in the Vally, some in Orange County, and others that live even more north than me. Each section of LA has a totally different personality, traffic situation, and culture. And people who live in each section HATE members of others areas, which is really funny (I think).