Los Angeles Times Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"We're going to examine our decision-making process thoroughly, but at the moment, looking back, I think we made the right decision in terms of moving the whole process to the Web," [Jim Cohen, president of the AAMC] said.

Made the right decision???? Is he joking? Or is he just trying to save some face? This whole system was a failure. It was doomed to fail from the start. Rather than admitting his mistake, this idiot still has the guts to say that it was the right decision? This just ticks me off even more. Why can't you just admit your mistake? I am so sick of AMCAS and their "oh don't worry it'll be fixed." I was naive enough to actually believe them when I started this thing, but no more. I have a feeling my application won't be verified till probably after October, the way things are going. Where is that letter we're all going to sign??? I'll print out a hundred copies and flood their stupid fax system.

People always respond that way when they are in a monopoly system.

If I had $10 million in startup funds, I would build a competing "clearingouse," and persuade all the med schools to give the option of accepting data from my company.

Would have to set up a coordination system with MCAT as well...isn't that owned by AMCAS? That would be a problem. Is it then the MCAT that creates the monopoly? What prevents them from controlling score releases to non-AMCAS participating schools?
-watto

Members don't see this ad :)
I was kinda disapointed that the article didn't touch on all the LIES amcas tells! Just looking at these threads, you can tell people are told whatever will get them off the phone. I HATE being lied to, and there is simply no other explaination for the contradictory info people are given. My unverified app was sent out? Oh really? That's funny, because I know for a fact my schools don't have it.

AMCAS, stop lying! I'm a big girl and can handle the truth. Just give me the real scoop so I'll know what's going on and what I need to do!!!

Originally posted by watto:
•People always respond that way when they are in a monopoly system.

If I had $10 million in startup funds, I would build a competing "clearingouse," and persuade all the med schools to give the option of accepting data from my company.

Would have to set up a coordination system with MCAT as well...isn't that owned by AMCAS? That would be a problem. Is it then the MCAT that creates the monopoly? What prevents them from controlling score releases to non-AMCAS participating schools?
-watto•

The MCAT is created by the ACT Testing Service, and administered by the AAMC.

So, if your company could somehow work out a deal with ACT along with the med schools, you wouldnt have to use the AAMC at all.

Of course that would be funny to see the AAMC lose control, but unfortunately the med schools are still faithful to the AAMC at this point. They are frustrated with AMCAS, but I would put odds at them leaving the AAMC completely for med school admissions at somewhere around 1 in a 100.

From my vantage point, the worst case scenario for the AAMC is that they will have to restructure AMCAS and reorganize. But as far as completley leaving the AAMC to go to a private company for med school admissions, I just dont see that happening.

I won't be happy till we get refunds :D

But isn't the AAMC a private company, too?
And they must be paying ACT for the right to use the scores.
The question is, at what price would ACT contract with a new company--one to be used in addition to AAMC.
And why would the odds of med schools using another company be so steep? If you could do things with more accuracy at a reasonable price, and convince them that you had security standards at least as high as the competitor, I don't know what the barriers to entry would be...

The AAMC is a non-profit organization. Its executive board is elected (although not directly) by the members of AAMC through various councils. One council includes the deans of the 125 medical schools that are represented by the AAMC. There is even a student council that elects representatives to the executive council. Dr. Cohen is the president of the executive council but there are many other members.

Jordan J. Cohen, president of the Assn. of American Medical Colleges, said he doesn't know when all of the problems will be fixed.

"If I knew the answer to that question, we would win the lottery," he said, adding that progress is being made each day.
Is it me, or does this quote seem like something you'd hear from a McDonald's employee rather than the president of a major organization? If Jordy is going to be presenting himslef in such an ignorant light, I would rather have him say, "Sorry about that"

"We had hoped by the end of this month that everything would be up and running. But . . . the closer we get to that date, the less confident I am about it." Thank you, Captain Obvious! How did you come to this revelation? Is it perhaps that you have said the same thing in the middle of every month since AMCAS 2002 went live? "...by May...by June 18...we are confident...July 15th...August 15th...4-6-8 weeks...etc. etc."

Some admissions officials said they pleaded with the association to keep the old system in place while testing the online process.

But Cohen said officials had to jump to the Web because the old computer system that organized applications no longer worked.
For the love of God, why didn't you fix the old system! Ever consider that, fools?

"We're going to examine our decision-making process thoroughly, but at the moment, looking back, I think we made the right decision in terms of moving the whole process to the Web," he said. I'll bet that'll be exciting. I can picture this "examination" now...will they ask a magic 8-ball if they made the wrong decision or something, or just summarily agree that they made the correct one?

Sorry. My application is stuck in neutral, so what better thing to do than write anti-AMCAS polemics?