Losing Hope :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, My name is Laura and I'm 19 years old and in between a Freshman and Sophomore. My major is Neuroscience and Behavior. I always wanted to work with Doctors without Borders and provide medical treatment to those who can't afford and/or don't have access to it. Needless to say, Even though the subject is interesting to me I feel like I am "failing." I was dual enrolled in psychology for my senior year and started in the summer taking classes. However, In the fall I got two C+, one in Chemistry 1 and one women criminal studies. The class wasn't hard, I had A's in both of them never getting anything less than an A, but we have this thing called an iclicker and because I didn't use it, my participation caused my grade to drop to a C+. I will retake chem in the future though. I did well in my fall semester, with a B+ in chem and got a c+ in college algebra. Though not an excuse, I did not study for my last two test because we had a attempted house armed break in and someone broke my car windows and tried to steal my car... I would just be paranoid to stay home and study etc... even though I could of tried harder:/ Finally, I have a demanding mom (don't we all?) She wants the best for me but pushes me to graduate earlier and get straight A's and everything, it is doable but I do need a little break and time to relax. I did a 8 month worth of biology in 12 weeks. I got a c+ for biology 1 and am praying and studying to see if I can get a B- in biology 2, though it seems I will have a c+. Do I have any chance to get into med school?
I feel stupid to say the least. I do try but I am a bit worn out mentally, I volunteer for the community emergency response team, I babysit, I do odd jobs, and I don't go out to the movies, or friends, party... I go to school and come home and sleep (literally). I go to FAU currently, and would love to stay there for med school, but I feel like they will like me and look at my grades and kick me out. I don't have anything lower than a c+ and all my c+ were one or two points away from an B (frustrating). I feel like my dreams are slipping away. So I am pressured to do well and be someone and help other people. I hope I gave you all enough information to read how I am and be honest with whether I do have a chance or not. Thank you

I also wanted to add, I am a C.E.R.T Member (community emergency response team). I have about 80 hours with them so far, I have gone on 4 mission trips since 9th grade traveling to Lake wales, Tennessee, Local, and Costa Rica. I plan to volunteer at either a gynecologist office, hospital, or nursing and rehabilitation center after my finals. Next Summer I will be going to Brazil to Shadow and I am looking into research too.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Laura, next time use your clicker.

Reactions: 14 users
It is too early to not have a chance at all. You do. But you really need to get your act together. You need to get stellar grades from here on out to show that you learned from your mistakes. Are you shooting for MD only or are you also looking into DO?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly still have a chance at medical school, but you should stop making excuses for poor grades. It doesn't do you any good. Get it together and you will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
You have a chance, and you have time to bring your grades up. You need to show an upward trend, so you have to try to not get too many C's, if not any more at all. Don't give up and don't lose hope yet. You still have time, but you really need to buckle down and study more.

Last edited:
Whichever I can get into I guess... However, I would prefer MD
It is too early to not have a chance at all. You do. But you really need to get your act together. You need to get stellar grades from here on out to show that you learned from your mistakes. Are you shooting for MD only or are you also looking into DO?

You certainly still have a chance at medical school, but you should stop making excuses for poor grades. It doesn't do you any good. Get it together and you will be fine.
They are not excuse at all. However I read that when I do apply to Med school I need to explain my low grades... So I'm giving an insight... But I am ready to get everything together and am focus solely on school

Hi Laura, next time use your clicker.
I did, on questions I knew, but it was my fault of not understanding the syllabus and knowing it was better to just click a random button... However, I learned from my mistakes

Whichever I can get into I guess... However, I would prefer MD
Well if you are open to DO you can also do repair with grade replacement. So don't panic just yet. Stay focused and you will be ok :)

You won't be including high school activities on your medical school application, take that into account.

You won't be including high school activities on your medical school application, take that into account.
I talked to my community service people at my school, and they said for the hours I can include it... can I not?

I talked to my community service people at my school, and they said for the hours I can include it... can I not?

No one is stopping you from including hours from high school, but no one reading your application will care.

As a general rule of thumb you shouldn't be including your high school experiences on your AMCAS application (they say stick to college level extracurriculars for a reason). If it significantly impacted you, you could include it in your PS though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally it is not recommended that you include an activity if you do not continue it into college.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh Okay, it was significant because it allowed us to see other people lives who were much different then ours (Boca kids)... It made me want to become a Missionary Doctor...I don't know if that is important to tell or not. I guess including only college will probably be best. Thanks everyone

I'm not going to be a nice person here and will just say that Huchital's gen chem is the most grade inflated science course ever. Orgo professors won't be nearly as nice at making students pass their class.

Last edited:
Oh Okay, it was significant because it allowed us to see other people lives who were much different then ours (Boca kids)... It made me want to become a Missionary Doctor...I don't know if that is important to tell or not. I guess including only college will probably be best. Thanks everyone

Something like this might be worth mentioning in passing e.g. in an interview, but I wouldn't make it a major point of focus on your application in either the personal statement or the experiences section.

No one is stopping you from including hours from high school, but no one reading your application will care.

Not necessarily. I did Search-and-Rescue and disaster relief throughout high school and included that on my AMCAS several years ago. The activity came up during several interviews and was definitely a positive to my application. Some activities can't really be continued in college when you're living the pre-med life, but are still interesting parts of your past.

Not necessarily. I did Search-and-Rescue and disaster relief throughout high school and included that on my AMCAS several years ago. The activity came up during several interviews and was definitely a positive to my application. Some activities can't really be continued in college when you're living the pre-med life, but are still interesting parts of your past.

When providing general advice there will obviously be situations that don't fit that advice. In general, activities prior to college should not be included. Obviously there are exceptions to this "rule," but those considering including older experiences should think carefully before doing so.

Reactions: 2 users
However, In the fall I got two C+, one in Chemistry 1 and one women criminal studies. The class wasn't hard, I had A's in both of them never getting anything less than an A, but we have this thing called an iclicker and because I didn't use it, my participation caused my grade to drop to a C+.

Please tell us why you weren't using your clicker. It seems as though getting an A would have been pretty simple if you had!

Please tell us why you weren't using your clicker. It seems as though getting an A would have been pretty simple if you had!

I also find it hard to believe that participation was worth enough of the final grade to drop someone with a solid A to a C+. Assuming there were multiple exams in the course, the participation % had to have been over 50% to cause that much of a drop. If that were the case, one should really know exactly what goes into the participation score in order to maximize such an easy part of the final grade.

OP, your first year was not good. Think of this year as a fresh slate, stop making excuses, and buckle down. Consider talking to an academic advisor or a counselor at school, you sound like you might be on the road to burnout. As a pre-med who is not working part- or full-time in addition to school, you should have plenty of time for a social life and still do well in school. You need to evaluate your study habits and learn to study more efficiently so that you can get better grades but also have time for ECs and a social life.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not going to be a nice person here and will just say that Huchital's gen chem is the most grade inflated science course ever. Orgo professors won't be nearly as nice at making students pass their class.
I concur, especially in Chem 2. I received WELL over a 100% in both Chem 1 and 2 with Huchital.

I concur, especially in Chem 2. I received WELL over a 100% in both Chem 1 and 2 with Huchital.
It bugs me a little. You can pass the course by virtually doing nothing, not even going to lecture which OP clearly didn't do as she got no iclicker points. And then there are also students who get As even after failing multiple tests.

Last edited:
As for real advice. You need to either focus on academics and stop all your activities that might be interfering with it. Or consider pursuing BS in Nursing (take advantage that our program is the best in the state) before it's too late as students cannot take more than 132 credits due to excess hour surcharge so you need to understand that if you keep trying at Biology, you may not be able to change it later on.

Doesn't sound like you messed up that bad. Just work super hard and you can make up for it.

Last edited:
Nothing below A from now on

As in politics, "if you're explaining, you're losing".

Successful medical school applicants do not have poor grades. They're allowed to be human and have the occasional C.

They are not excuse at all. However I read that when I do apply to Med school I need to explain my low grades... So I'm giving an insight... But I am ready to get everything together and am focus solely on school

It would Have been an easy A. I just didn't answer questions I didn't know. I ended up with an D for the quiz iclicker question and I don't know... I just got to frustrated trying to solve and not knowing and afraid to get wrong answers... In my high school it was all about getting things right andi felt like an idiot:/. I am thinking of clepping my Spanish which will give me 6 free credits which I used for College algebra (I withdrew the first time) and using the remaining 3 credits to take chem again

I also find it hard to believe that participation was worth enough of the final grade to drop someone with a solid A to a C+. Assuming there were multiple exams in the course, the participation % had to have been over 50% to cause that much of a drop. If that were the case, one should really know exactly what goes into the participation score in order to maximize such an easy part of the final grade.

OP, your first year was not good. Think of this year as a fresh slate, stop making excuses, and buckle down. Consider talking to an academic advisor or a counselor at school, you sound like you might be on the road to burnout. As a pre-med who is not working part- or full-time in addition to school, you should have plenty of time for a social life and still do well in school. You need to evaluate your study habits and learn to study more efficiently so that you can get better grades but also have time for ECs and a social life.

I had a 93 in chem before it became a C due to participation. I however do work with my mom... Either before school or after I would drive and clean houses with her. On breaks I work with her, and for a couple. Waking up at 6 and getting home at 6. I did learn better studying habits which seems to be effective and am already pre reading my books for my fall classes.

it sounds like you have more of an anxiety problem than an academic problem. Break away from your frankly toxic and possibly mentally ill mother and do things at your own pace and take some pressure off yourself. Don't be scared to get things wrong and ask questions. You will be fine. The judgments of the lord are just and righteous altogether.

I had a 93 in chem before it became a C due to participation. I however do work with my mom... Either before school or after I would drive and clean houses with her. On breaks I work with her, and for a couple. Waking up at 6 and getting home at 6. I did learn better studying habits which seems to be effective and am already pre reading my books for my fall classes.

Laura, I would definitely lighten your schedule if you have to work as much as it seems.

Taking a part time load is ok while you get your study habits together. I know what it's like to have to work to help out your family, especially if they are struggling, and I know how demanding family can be.

I struggled quite a bit at the beginning of my college career. I found out that my study habits were well below what successful people were doing. If you're struggling in classes, you might want to address your study habits and find ways to make your time more efficient. Sometimes your school has resources to help you with this. Until you get all of these things figured out, I would take your time and go very slowly in terms of course load.

As for real advice. You need to either focus on academics and stop all your activities that might be interfering with it. Or consider pursuing BS in Nursing (take advantage that our program is the best in the state) before it's too late as students cannot take more than 132 credits due to excess hour surcharge so you need to understand that if you keep trying at Biology, you may not be able to change it later on.

I did pass with a C+ I got an Nothing lower than a C on his test but the participation which I didn't do brought be down because I missed those points. Yes at times I wasn't paying attention or I missed it but it was my fault for not being ware. What I want to know is if I should retake Chem 1 which I got a C+ (In Chem 2 I got an B+) or if I should just save my credits for higher class. This summer I took Biology 1 and 2 (c+ and c) but I had a talk with my professor and I changed my study habit completely. I learned effective tips and how to study instead of just skimming by... Do you know if I can continue trying to pursue medicine but in last case switch to nursing?

entertaining your mothers wishes of "graduating early" is simply asinine at this point. Slow your roll and you will be fine.

Laura, I would definitely lighten your schedule if you have to work as much as it seems.

Taking a part time load is ok while you get your study habits together. I know what it's like to have to work to help out your family, especially if they are struggling, and I know how demanding family can be.

I struggled quite a bit at the beginning of my college career. I found out that my study habits were well below what successful people were doing. If you're struggling in classes, you might want to address your study habits and find ways to make your time more efficient. Sometimes your school has resources to help you with this. Until you get all of these things figured out, I would take your time and go very slowly in terms of course load.

You are right, it is only me and her and I am grateful to have a scholarship to school, but we have bills, and house and car break in and I have panic attacks so we are trying to move:/ I had a great professor for my summer for biology 1 and 2 even though I got C+and c I learn how to study with my teacher... He told me I still have chances and just need to follow his tips so I am grateful to have changed my study habit as if there are no curves. I am going to use the school learning center more for subjects I don't feel confident in. I asked students who have had my teachers who they would recommend because I am a bit shy and got names of effective but nice teacher assistance and tutors in case I need it :)

I did pass with a C+ I got an Nothing lower than a C on his test but the participation which I didn't do brought be down because I missed those points. Yes at times I wasn't paying attention or I missed it but it was my fault for not being ware. What I want to know is if I should retake Chem 1 which I got a C+ (In Chem 2 I got an B+) or if I should just save my credits for higher class. This summer I took Biology 1 and 2 (c+ and c) but I had a talk with my professor and I changed my study habit completely. I learned effective tips and how to study instead of just skimming by... Do you know if I can continue trying to pursue medicine but in last case switch to nursing?

I just want to quote your original post. You've miffed me a bit.

The class wasn't hard, I had A's in both of them never getting anything less than an A, but we have this thing called an iclicker and because I didn't use it, my participation caused my grade to drop to a C+.

Which was it?

It seems like the clicker is not your biggest problem. Wake up and try to do your best. And don't retake chem. Just do better in your next one.

None of these grades are helping you, especially the C+ and C this summer.

If I'm looking at your application, I'm seeing someone whose in a hurry (why in the world are you taking Bio 1 and 2 in the summer,when you've already been struggling?) and someone who doesn't care to address their mistakes and is clearly not interested in learning from them. This may not be the case, but that's what it looks like on paper.

With the amount of C's you already have, you need pretty much all A's from here on out. You can get an occasional B, but you need to show schools that you've learned how to study efficiently and do well. Even nursing will be difficult for you if you keep stacking up the C's like you already have.

entertaining your mothers wishes of "graduating early" is simply asinine at this point. Slow your roll and you will be fine.
You are right she wanted me to graduate in 2 in a half year. I did her wishes this summer of taking 11 credits this summer but I got c+,B, c, b+,b+ and she finally (I think) understood I can't bombard myself with classes for mediocre grades...

If I'm looking at your application, I'm seeing someone whose in a hurry (why in the world are you taking Bio 1 and 2 in the summer,when you've already been struggling?) and someone who doesn't care to address their mistakes and is clearly not interested in learning from them. This may not be the case, but that's what it looks like on paper.

With the amount of C's you already have, you need pretty much all A's from here on out. You can get an occasional B, but you need to show schools that you've learned how to study efficiently and do well. Even nursing will be difficult for you if you keep stacking up the C's like you already have.
I live with my mom and it is kind of her way or highway. But i had a breakdown and I think she understood. I got new study habits and outside helps for the fall to begin...

I live with my mom and it is kind of her way or highway. But i had a breakdown and I think she understood. I got new study habits and outside helps for the fall to begin...

It's your life, not your moms. You're an adult now and you have to do what's best for your career, even if that means taking time off school and finding a way to get some distance from your mom (worst case scenario).

Professional schools aren't going to want to hear that your mom pushed you too hard, so you got crappy grades. No excuses. To answer your original question, it's still early in your academic career but you have to turn it around now. It's very doable and many people have done it, but you're going to have to put in 100%. Getting a lower grade in a class because you didn't feel like pushing a button on a clicker is unacceptable. You have to do everything necessary to ensure your success.

At my undergrad, c's in nursing courses were barely acceptable. If you got worse than a 75% (which was the C cutoff), you had to repeat the course and therefore you were held back a year. Fail again, kicked out of the program.

Kind of similar at my school, I don't know for nursing but for medicine a c- was the cutoff for biology major. I am a neuroscience and Behavior major but I still don't like the c and the c+. It's very different from what I am use too:/

It's your life, not your moms. You're an adult now and you have to do what's best for your career, even if that means taking time off school and finding a way to get some distance from your mom (worst case scenario).

Professional schools aren't going to want to hear that your mom pushed you too hard, so you got crappy grades. No excuses. To answer your original question, it's still early in your academic career but you have to turn it around now. It's very doable and many people have done it, but you're going to have to put in 100%. Getting a lower grade in a class because you didn't feel like pushing a button on a clicker is unacceptable. You have to do everything necessary to ensure your success.
I know and you are right, I learned the hard way but i'm determined to turn it around and push harder to be who I want

Does anyone know, if the school likes when students clep?. I am tri lingual fluently and wanted to clep my foreign language requirement. I have taken my school "class placement" for fun and got the highest level of Spanish one can get... Except to save my credits to maybe retake some classes, I wanted to clep Spanish or Portuguese. (I am also in the process of learning Norwegian but my school doesn't offer clep for it...)

Do you want to be a translator or a doctor? While being fluent in 4 languages is awesome and a unique skill, it won't matter if you have poor grades since that is what you were focusing on. Perhaps you would more enjoy helping people by being an intermediary (translator) and allow two people to communicate who otherwise couldn't?

I think it would behoove you to realize what you need to be setting your goals at from now on. It sounds like you have a lot of B-, C+, and C's. Perhaps many on here forget to realize but a B- is already sub 3.0. Any B-'s you receive are the equivalent of a 2.7 GPA, a C+ is a 2.3 GPA, and a C is a 2.0.

You literally need to get straight A's from now on. The reason why I feel its important to tell you this is because I don't necessarily see the consciousness on your part where you perhaps realize that even a B or B+ will not cut it for you. The average GPA of a matriculated MD student is 3.6+ if I am not mistaken below 3.5 your chances are fairly slim. DO is a bit more lenient but not that much more maybe 3.2-3.3 is the average final cutoff? @Goro . The good thin is they do have grade replacement which rewards you for retaking classes.

I just wanted to go through all of this so that if you decide this is truly what you want to do, and make all of this effort to strive for it (I know it's hard), that you at least are setting the proper goals for yourself, and have a realistic understanding of what you need to achieve/accomplish from here on out so you know where you stand at the finish line (application time) and so you can gauge your progress along the way, and reassess your career aspirations if necessary if you are unable to meet these goals.

If I get all A's from here on out I can achieve about 3.7 without 2 grade replacement and without any pass and fail. I have 18 free credits I can use too. I would much rather do something in health field. I know I have to really buckle down and get serious