losing hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red dot

burning, burning
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my gpa and science gpa between 3.1 and 3.4. my mcat verbal is an 8.

i am getting secondaries, but they're automatically sent anyway.

sometimes i wonder if i should give up now and work on boosting my gpa for another year or two (i've graduated). but i already came this far.

i'm sure there has to be someone in the same boat as me. is there? what should we do? is there anything we can do?

maybe it's that automated Georgetown email that was sent... how the average gpa's are 3.5 for interviews and 3.6 upon acceptance. am i reaching too far by even trying for Georgetown or any other school like it?

has anyone ever gotten in with my stats (without being a superURM or super-jock or super-researcher)?? does anyone have any advice? i would very much appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

a bit of a gap between a 3.1 and a 3.4, what is your exact GPA. Also an 8 on verbal is not that bad either. We need to know a bit more about you than what you had given us.

well at first i was a bit uncomfortable saying my exact stats... but hey what the hell i have nothing to lose. here is me: i'm not technically graduated until next week (currently finishing up summer classes so i need to send an updated transcript -- to each school or to amcas i don't know yet do you?)

science gpa by the end of next week: 3.31 i HOPE
overal gpa by the end of next week: 3.39 i HOPE

april 2005 mcat: 32R

and i am currently working on the secondaries that the schools just send you automatically because it's an awful process because they don't even look at the stupid personal statement which you wrote 33 drafts for and want to make a quick ben franklin off you before they laugh in your face and say "you? hahahahahahaha!" and then they ask... well why us? to which you reply by surfing their website and say the same thing that 134358973 other applicants are saying: "because you have X program that i like and will grow a lot in and p.s. i am a contributor." the thing is, some schools have a supervague website anyway so it's hard to find anything (ahem, temple. cough cough georgetown).

maybe my confidence (whatever little i had of it in the first place) has been decreasing at an exponential rate ever since i had been told to my face by a family member that i would never get into a med school.

i'm just nervous because georgetown keeps emailing and posting stuff on their site about how everyone has 10+ on each section of the mcat. not that georgetown is necessarily my first choice. but i want to go to ANY of the schools i've applied to. i think if i had a theme song for the med school process... it would be dramarama's "anything, anything"

any advice? anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
look seductive in your secondary photo.

done: naked + stethescope

32 MCAT is a pretty sweet score, just keep your hope up and do well in your interviews.

It's really, really rediculous for you to think that you should give up. Your numbers are fine. Your MCAT is a little lopsided, but that's not the end of the world. ADCOMs do read your personal statement and they do read your secondary essays. They take their selection process very seriously and no, it's not all about numbers. Not that your numbers are terrible anyway.

The only thing that will sink you now will be pessimism and negativity coming through in secondaries and/or interviews. Get excited! You're one step closer to becoming a doctor! You ARE going to make it! I can't make this sound more like a self-help tape!

Look at all the people still stuck on waitlists for this year's entering class. They're still rallying around eachother and are still pinnacles of optimism. Be like them.

I would step away from SDN and mdapplicants, they give you a very skewed view of who gets in. With a 32 MCAT, you are plenty enough competitive. You didn't mention what state you are in, if it isn't California you should be fine. Make sure to apply to a range of schools, and you will be an MS-1 in no time. Just make sure that your ECs and LORs are strong, and that you practice interviewing.

Flopotomist said:
I would step away from SDN and mdapplicants, they give you a very skewed view of who gets in.

best advice ever.

yeah you guys are right. i ought to be a little less negative.

oh, btw, i am from california. poo.

and just HOW skewed is mdapplicants, cuz i neurotically click and reclick the same schools and score profiles. *must... stop... obsessing...*

Joonie said:

and just HOW skewed is mdapplicants, cuz i neurotically click and reclick the same schools and score profiles. *must... stop... obsessing...*
Well, the first thing about mdapplicants is that people blatantly lie. MSAR reported that nobody scored a 45, yet there are quite a few people that report that they scored a 45. Also, people with "average" stats tend not to post there for some reason. I am putting one up, but even I am guilty of inaccuracy because I put my college GPA up, which was .2 higher than what AMCAS calculated.

Joonie said:

I don't know why people trust in MDapp anyway because people who posted are really up there. Although there are a few exceptions like myself, my profile is up there too, just to bring down the avg to a more realistic level. If you want real # here it is http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004mcatgpa.htm

If you want a broader range of data then go here http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm

Also a word of advice when you read statistic, remember that average just means average (ie 50% above 50% below) and of course you know the standard distribution curve. You have a pretty decent score, 32 will help you out a lot, just be great on your interview and hopefully we will see each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joonie said:

Did you ever see the movie, Airplane? You know when that woman starts going nuts, and a giant line forms to slap her in the face to tell her to get ahold of yourself? This thread will soon be that line.

The thing is, your stats, like mine, are the kind which dont do much for you, but they dont do anything against you either. So, the next few months will be about convincing adcoms they need to believe about you what you believe about yourself- that you're a deserving person who will make a great doctor. So get on board with that attitude now, because nothing is a killer like a lack of confidence- anywhere in life.

unfrozencaveman said:
Did you ever see the movie, Airplane? You know when that woman starts going nuts, and a giant line forms to slap her in the face to tell her to get ahold of yourself? This thread will soon be that line.

The thing is, your stats, like mine, are the kind which dont do much for you, but they dont do anything against you either. So, the next few months will be about convincing adcoms they need to believe about you what you believe about yourself- that you're a deserving person who will make a great doctor. So get on board with that attitude now, because nothing is a killer like a lack of confidence- anywhere in life.

airplane was a great movie.

Joonie said:
does anyone have any advice? i would very much appreciate it.

I'm applying now so my advice isn't from experience, but the best advice I've heard is get your apps in as early as possible. A lot of people with better scores don't get in because they applied late in the cycle and were competing for fewer interview and acceptance slots.

If you're that worried, apply to a few DO schools in addition to MD programs. You're numbers are definately competitive for most DO programs.

Joonie said:
well at first i was a bit uncomfortable saying my exact stats... but hey what the hell i have nothing to lose. here is me: i'm not technically graduated until next week (currently finishing up summer classes so i need to send an updated transcript -- to each school or to amcas i don't know yet do you?)

and i am currently working on the secondaries that the schools just send you automatically because it's an awful process because they don't even look at the stupid personal statement which you wrote 33 drafts for and want to make a quick ben franklin off you before they laugh in your face and say "you? hahahahahahaha!" and then they ask... well why us? to which you reply by surfing their website and say the same thing that 134358973 other applicants are saying: "because you have X program that i like and will grow a lot in and p.s. i am a contributor." the thing is, some schools have a supervague website anyway so it's hard to find anything (ahem, temple. cough cough georgetown).

maybe my confidence (whatever little i had of it in the first place) has been decreasing at an exponential rate ever since i had been told to my face by a family member that i would never get into a med school.

i'm just nervous because georgetown keeps emailing and posting stuff on their site about how everyone has 10+ on each section of the mcat. not that georgetown is necessarily my first choice. but i want to go to ANY of the schools i've applied to. i think if i had a theme song for the med school process... it would be dramarama's "anything, anything"

any advice? anyone?

Hey Joonie,
~3.4 and a 32 is a great score... I've met people with lower stats who gotten into one of the top 10 school (white people :D ). If I were you, I would not be discouraged by the family member, but instead pissed and use it as motivation by anger. Do whatever it takes, get accepted, and... just happen to mention to them that you got into med school :laugh:.

If you are still worried, apply to a few DO schools.

Joonie said:

any advice? anyone?

it's kind of eerie how similar our applications are: i too have a 32R but my gpas are a little different (3.54 overall, 3.23 science). i also go to berkeley (i'm guessing you go there). i applied to 29 schools and am keeping my head way up. don't be discouraged by what other people are doing or because one school says something weird on their website...and also dont get caught up on any one school. Apply to a wide range of schools, look at the MSAR and find what school's range you fit in and then shoot and don't look back. if you create this negative reality for yourself it will come to fruition. keep your head up. oh and if we both get in somewhere we should make babies. ok cool.
-mota

Flopotomist said:
Well, the first thing about mdapplicants is that people blatantly lie. MSAR reported that nobody scored a 45, yet there are quite a few people that report that they scored a 45. Also, people with "average" stats tend not to post there for some reason. I am putting one up, but even I am guilty of inaccuracy because I put my college GPA up, which was .2 higher than what AMCAS calculated.

How do you find out what AMCAS calculated?

Camillekc said:
How do you find out what AMCAS calculated?

once your app is processed go to print application and all your GPAs will be listed on page 6, right above your mcat scores.
-mota

I'm in a similar boat, with a 8 on VR. Initially, I was so disappointed that almost had a nervous breakdown. But after talking to my premed counselor, I found a combined score above 30 with no section below a 8 is competitive. And it will get you ~75% chance for acceptance. Also, I have talked to doctors who have gotten into Johns Hopkins University with an 8 and Wayne State 7 respectively. They had a good composite score and were not URM. Don't give up hope!

Also, realize MDapplicants skews reality. I use it to keep track of my expenses, interviews, and applications.

aww... thanks. :)

Flopotomist said:

but how do schools look at this? do they look at the college gpa or the amcas? don't they look at the amcas? i'm just askingn cuz i JUST realized my amcas gpa is different than the one i calculated on excel.

DaMota said:
once your app is processed go to print application and all your GPAs will be listed on page 6, right above your mcat scores.
-mota

Thanks!

Hey

I always hear that you should be optomistic etc, but what if your stats are way more skewed(3.1 and 13,13,13). A 3.4 seems acceptable, as a 32, but whiel a 39 is really good 3.0-3.1 seems that it could, by itself, determine the outcome of the decision. Sometimes I wish there was a formula like MCAT+10*GPA. I think i'd do better with that. Unfortunately it seems like having one super-low is an automatic invitaiton for rejection.

Joonie said:
but how do schools look at this? do they look at the college gpa or the amcas? don't they look at the amcas? i'm just askingn cuz i JUST realized my amcas gpa is different than the one i calculated on excel.

Yes. The med schools could care less what your college calculated.

supermcat said:
Hey

I always hear that you should be optomistic etc, but what if your stats are way more skewed(3.1 and 13,13,13). A 3.4 seems acceptable, as a 32, but whiel a 39 is really good 3.0-3.1 seems that it could, by itself, determine the outcome of the decision. Sometimes I wish there was a formula like MCAT+10*GPA. I think i'd do better with that. Unfortunately it seems like having one super-low is an automatic invitaiton for rejection.

I think it's tougher to be in that boat (not that I have a 39 MCAT), because you've got extremely good reason for hope and extremely good reason to be afraid. Some people make fun of your fears because you've got one really good aspect to your app... but the grades are scary!

I'm with ya.

Joonie,
I've got essentially the same gpa (3.35 overall, 3.31 science) and a 34R (8 on verbal as well). I applied MD/PhD last year and very late because my advisor forgot that I was applying and I still got 2 interviews and was waitlisted at Tufts and UMass, both of which have significantly higher averages than my scores. I'm having another go at it this year, getting everything in early and I know that I'll be in somewhere by May 15th and packing up my stuff. If you look in the front of the MSAR there's a graph of people's stats and who got accepted, for the entire class before you. The break even point on MCAT is about 30 and the break even point on GPA is around 3.4. You've got a better than 50% chance of getting into school, so apply early and to a bunch of schools and you'll be sitting pretty statistically. Then all you have to do is impress the ADCOM with your personality and you're in!

:luck:

Flopotomist said:
I would step away from SDN and mdapplicants, they give you a very skewed view of who gets in. With a 32 MCAT, you are plenty enough competitive. You didn't mention what state you are in, if it isn't California you should be fine. Make sure to apply to a range of schools, and you will be an MS-1 in no time. Just make sure that your ECs and LORs are strong, and that you practice interviewing.

But how many times will this have to be said before people believe it????

I am amazed at how many people have been published, done research, started community clubs, volunteered....not to mention the ones who found the cure for AIDS, cancer, Parkinson's and did it all while walking on water and performing exploratory surgery on a homeless child.

If I read too much into mdapplicants I would simply give up and never consider any field medically related again. :oops:

i have lsot all hope. after the rejections i have received over the weekend and today, i am withdrawing from this application cycle with no plans to apply again.

wowzer said:
i have lsot all hope. after the rejections i have received over the weekend and today, i am withdrawing from this application cycle with no plans to apply again.

It's too early to give up wowzer! Ya gotta keep fighting the good fight. It's still way early in the application season and the first few rejections are always the most painful. You'll surely get good support on SDN too :D

i think your scores sound fine!!!.. everybody is right.. you have more than 50% chance of getting in.. as for the family member that said you can't make it-- you are definitely going to prove them wrong!!:).... wish you guys all the best!!! :)

wowzer said:

are you serious? but you've come all this way. but no worries i feel like giving up too. (i realized my gpa is LOWER on amcas than my college gpa. so p.s. to those of you who have been on my brightside, i really appreciated it) this whole process is so demoralizing. i have been sad and angry. i don't know what to do.

I have similar stats. Around the same GPA but higher MCAT (35 with 10 in verbal, 13, 12 in sciences). No acceptances so far for 2005 entering class but still on 1 waiting list after only 2 interviews. Good luck.

The way I figure it...there is no point in losing hope now. Sure we are getting rejections (stupid pitt...still nothing) and we'll probably get more. I'd rather at the end know that I did all I could this time around to get in. I'll be super dissappointed and upset, but at least there's no "what if".

So don't give up now! we need support from each other.
Oh, and if anyone cared what my stats are :

GPA:3.2 :barf:
MCAT: 35

for those of you with an overall/science gpa <3.3 and an MCAT <34, what are you planning to do -- other than just applying to allopathic schools? work? research? post-bacc? masters? osteopathy? i am considering all at this point... goddamn why can't they just look at my trend!?

Joonie said:
for those of you with an overall/science gpa <3.3 and an MCAT <34, what are you planning to do -- other than just applying to allopathic schools? work? research? post-bacc? masters? osteopathy? i am considering all at this point... goddamn why can't they just look at my trend!?

I'm doing resarch as work for the next year! and a clinical volunteer thingy. And they will look at any trends that you have in your grades (especially increasing trends)!!!

CuddlyKumquat said:
The way I figure it...there is no point in losing hope now. Sure we are getting rejections (stupid pitt...still nothing) and we'll probably get more.

Getting nothing isn't the same as getting rejected. Pitt may just still be reviewing you. Some people's applications are easy to figure out. If their stats are all super high, they probably get interview invites right away. But those of us with the difficult applications are going to have to wait longer for the schools to figure out what they want to do with us. The waiting sucks, but keep in mind that it isn't just you. There are literally thousands of us out there in SDN-land all dying to know when if ever we are going to hear something from X or Y school. You *will* hear something eventually. And no news isn't necessarily bad news. Now, everyone get off SDN for a while and let's all do something more constructive with our time while we obsess. :p ;)

Great thread -- I'm faced with a similar but far worse challenge.

I'm trying to decide if I should tell certain schools that I'm taking the August MCAT or keep my mouth shut and have then evaluate my app in light of my April score (all 9s) and 3.46 BCPM. The reason for my low MCAT score is that I took it halfway through my prereqs just so I'd have a set of numbers for schools to even consider me for 2006. (I'm a career changer with no relevant science/medical experience other than volunteering.) It turned out better than I thought but not enough to be competitive. I should hit 10 in August (11s would be a stretch and 12s warrant a lotto ticket).

Anyway, I've got a bunch of secondaries which I've held back on filling out b/c I'm not sure how to proceed.

If I don't tell them about my August MCAT, adcoms are likely to weed me out immediately. I took a chance with MSU and even w/their low stats I haven't heard back.

Alternatively, I could tell them about the August MCAT, condemning my app to the dust bin until late October. Strangely, that hasn't kept UC Davis from sending me a secondary.

Apps are such a weird mind game. Any thoughts? I know my chances are slim as is, but I hope someone will value my work experience. Thanks.

Arb said:
I have similar stats. Around the same GPA but higher MCAT (35 with 10 in verbal, 13, 12 in sciences). No acceptances so far for 2005 entering class but still on 1 waiting list after only 2 interviews. Good luck.

Wow Arb. Great MCAT score -- so sorry. You know, the mystery of the selection process makes black holes look like pancakes. Perhaps you can write a letter to the school to improve your standing.

Best of luck to you.

You know, the mystery of the selection process makes black holes look like pancakes.
[/QUOTE]

Hah. That made my aim profile.

Joonie said:

any advice? anyone?

Hello everyone, i was wondering if people could be super honest about me too. I have a 3.2 overall (3.12 science) and though i have taken challenging courses and have a publication from the lab at which I do research, my physical science was awful (8). I'm retaking the MCAT in august, b/c my VR = 11 and my BS = 10. As you might guess from my name, my sophomore year was horrid because I had a nasty flare up of my Crohn's Disease. While I certainly wove that into my personal statement, which I have been told was really great, I still have massive doubts that any school will ever want me.

Thanks

I would definitely try. People with worse stats have gotten in. It's a strange process.

Just made a fool of myself on the phone with the person who calls you for an interview. Argghhh. Don't hold it against me SUNY Upstate!

Oh what a great thread! Pre-meds telling the truth for once instead of the loud-mouthed jackass in O-Chem who lies and says he didn't study at all and knows he'll bomb the exam when everyone knows he studied all weekend and is going to ace it.

I am not applying this year and I have no idea who'll get in and who won't but I did want to add my profile to the thread, our Anti-MDApplicants.

My overall numbers are good but I dropped out of not one but two grad schools. And my grad school grades (the few I have) are very bad. I also have pitiful research experience and compared to the other non-trads, below average clinical experience (our stats tend to be lower but I think i'm the only one who isn't an EMT or nurse). But darn it, I know I would be a kickass doctor and I am going to convince SOMEONE of it. Between me and my son I've got 8 doctors in my life right now and I can't say I've ever wondered what their GPA was.

Rock on all my imperfect pre-med brothers and sisters. We need more doctors like you and less arrogant 4.0 jackasses.

QofQuimica said:
Getting nothing isn't the same as getting rejected. Pitt may just still be reviewing you. Some people's applications are easy to figure out. If their stats are all super high, they probably get interview invites right away. But those of us with the difficult applications are going to have to wait longer for the schools to figure out what they want to do with us. The waiting sucks, but keep in mind that it isn't just you. There are literally thousands of us out there in SDN-land all dying to know when if ever we are going to hear something from X or Y school. You *will* hear something eventually. And no news isn't necessarily bad news. Now, everyone get off SDN for a while and let's all do something more constructive with our time while we obsess. :p ;)

yeah. word.
i have 2 finals tomorrow and i have been unable to GET OFF SDN but i need to keep the internet on just cuz i have to check emails. this website is like fentanyl (i would imagine)

i know this guy who was on the adcom at UC Irvine for several years (except the last 2 years or so) so i asked him about my situation:my GPA jumped about >/= 1.5 between my sophmore and junior year and has pretty much stayed that way....

his reply was that yes, trends count. BUT. compared to the overall applicant pool, who is going to look better? someone who didn't **** up or someone who did and "learned from it?" according to him trends help, but they don't mean anything. apparently, it's the final score on page 6 of your amcas application that counts for anything.

this stupid process is so demoralizing. it makes me wish i were a different ethnicity (i'm "east asian") because yeah, it does sorta count against you. i'm sorry i'm bitter right now (i have been up since 5 am yesterday because I couldn't sleep having nightmares about med schools).

and one more thing. secondaries: why X school?
what do you mean why? what part of your website are you sooo proud of that you want me to talk about it? and no, i've never been to your campus -- i'm poor. but it looks nice from way over here is that ok?

Flopotomist said:
I would step away from SDN and mdapplicants, they give you a very skewed view of who gets in. With a 32 MCAT, you are plenty enough competitive.

SDN somehow is a beacon for all of the incredibly talented, smart, and high scoring applicants. I continually have to think of the global numbers, and not the ones you read about here or on mdapplicants. They are (and these are rough numbers, within 5%)

- About 38,000 applicants a year
- About 17,000 spots a year
- About 45% of people who apply get in.

- Average MCAT score: 24, (60,000 people for each test)
- Average MCAT score of those who apply: 27
- Average MCAT score of those who get in: 30

- Average GPA of those who get in: 3.5

Everybody on SDN seems to have better GPA's and better MCATs than the numbers above. We have read posts where people write "Can I get into Duke with a 3.85 and a 38R?" It really makes me disgusted. I think the underlying intention of those posts is to brag about their stats.

I don't think you are in the top 10 - 20% of the applicant pool, but you are competitive. That means you should apply mostly to schools where you are competitive. And, if your financial means allow you to, apply to some tougher schools. There are candidates who get into Harvard and Wash U with 3.5 and and an 8 on their verbal scores.

Good luck!

thegenius said:
Everybody on SDN seems to have better GPA's and better MCATs than the numbers above. We have read posts where people write "Can I get into Duke with a 3.85 and a 38R?" It really makes me disgusted. I think the underlying intention of those posts is to brag about their stats.

No, people who score well and make good grades need assurance too. Besides, schools like Duke are more competitive than just "getting in". Should only people with low scores and low grades be able to ask for feedback?

REPOSTING.... could really use a second opinion, fast! Thanks.

medworm said:
Great thread -- I'm faced with a similar but far worse challenge.

I'm trying to decide if I should tell certain schools that I'm taking the August MCAT or keep my mouth shut and have then evaluate my app in light of my April score (all 9s) and 3.46 BCPM. The reason for my low MCAT score is that I took it halfway through my prereqs just so I'd have a set of numbers for schools to even consider me for 2006. (I'm a career changer with no relevant science/medical experience other than volunteering.) It turned out better than I thought but not enough to be competitive. I should hit 10 in August (11s would be a stretch and 12s warrant a lotto ticket).

Anyway, I've got a bunch of secondaries which I've held back on filling out b/c I'm not sure how to proceed.

If I don't tell them about my August MCAT, adcoms are likely to weed me out immediately. I took a chance with MSU and even w/their low stats I haven't heard back.

Alternatively, I could tell them about the August MCAT, condemning my app to the dust bin until late October. Strangely, that hasn't kept UC Davis from sending me a secondary.

Apps are such a weird mind game. Any thoughts? I know my chances are slim as is, but I hope someone will value my work experience. Thanks.
:eek: :eek:

medworm said:
REPOSTING.... could really use a second opinion, fast! Thanks.

:eek: :eek:
Wormie, take a deep breath, you'll be fine. Put your damned August MCAT in there, cause it shows that you're trying to improve the weak part of your app. Your sci GPA is fine so no worries there. You'll get in somewhere, if you're really worried about your scores, look into DO school which has a later application timeline and lower scores and GPAs.