Losing Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bola18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I am a Senior biology major with 3.87 CGPA and 3.86 SGPA so far. Iam planning to apply this summer and I will take my first DAT by the end of June. However, I received today my grade for Bio seminar and I got a C+ and I got last semester a B in organic I. So far I have a C+, B+, and B in my transcript. I feel really worried that these grades will strongly affect my application status especially that I got these bad grades at the last two semesters right before applying this summer. Also, i took one pre-req course (A&P I) in a community college last summer and some one just told me that dental schools don't accept credits from Community colleges. Pls feel free to give advice and share experience,,,,,,,,,,Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that if you type ten commas in a row, Steve Jobs will climb out of a Russian submarine in booty shorts singing kumbaya while icing his kneecaps to the beat of repurposed tin cans found behind the local bestbuy.

I heard that if you type ten commas in a row, Steve Jobs will climb out of a Russian submarine in booty shorts singing kumbaya while icing his kneecaps to the beat of repurposed tin cans found behind the local bestbuy.

Sine I am not a pure american, I don't really get what do you mean lol

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, I am a Senior biology major with 3.87 CGPA and 3.86 SGPA so far. Iam planning to apply this summer and I will take my first DAT by the end of June. However, I received today my grade for Bio seminar and I got a C+ and I got last semester a B in organic I. So far I have a C+, B+, and B in my transcript. I feel really worried that these grades will strongly affect my application status especially that I got these bad grades at the last two semesters right before applying this summer. Also, i took one pre-req course (A&P I) in a community college last summer and some one just told me that dental schools don't accept credits from Community colleges. Pls feel free to give advice and share experience,,,,,,,,,,Thanks.

How are you a senior biology major with 3.8 GPA when you haven't even completed a organic chemistry requirement?

Sounds fishy to me and sounds like you should be worried.

rofl. Steve Jobs is in chemo, Steve Wozniak is filling in for him this month.

ouch... 3 grades and none of them A?

start looking at other career options.... Podiatry is a good safety net for pre-dents

Is this post for real? Close to a 3.9 GPA and you're worried about your grades not being good enough? I wish I could send you MY transcript.

I think you'll be ok. Do well on the DAT, do some volunteer work, go shadow a few dentists, get good letter of recs, and write a good personal statement. Afterwards you can complain about the 22 you received on your DAT that brought your AA down to 26 and we can hold your hand as you apply to podiatry. I hear Western has a good program.

Oright, i meant that i wasn't born in United states, I have been here only for 6 yeas,,,,,,,,,,I think no one is giving me a useful answer

I think you'll be ok. Do well on the DAT, do some volunteer work, go shadow a few dentists, get good letter of recs, and write a good personal statement.

That was the serious part of my post. I think if you do well on the rest of your application, you'll be FINE.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but "losing hope" over 3 bad grades just seems ridiculous to me.

I think I didn't make it clear enough in my post,,,, I had a 3.93 GPA two semesters ago but now its going down to may be 3.85 after this semester so there is a downward trend in my GPA now and I think that doesn't look good

I think I didn't make it clear enough in my post,,,, I had a 3.93 GPA two semesters ago but now its going down to may be 3.85 after this semester so there is a downward trend in my GPA now and I think that doesn't look good

You will be fine. If you had 2-3 semester of an extreme downward trend, then I would begin to worry. IF you have one bad semester, it will not be an issue. you have a 3.85, just repeat that over and over until you go to sleep at night ( you should be happy, not upset with a 3.85 incase you did not know) .

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bola, sorry not many people are giving you helpful answers.

i'm not sure about the credits from community college. i think it depends on the dental schools whether or not they'll accept them. you should call up schools or look in the ADEA book now to make sure you have everything in order before you start applying and everything. make sure you have time to retake the class if you have to.

as for your gpa, you will actually be ending up with ~3.85. that is nothing to worry about. that's a great gpa, even with your three latest grades being on the lower end. again, if you want you can call up a school and see what they think about this, but i think you'll be fine. if you have a good DAT score and everything else for a well-rounded application, they're not going to deny you an interview just because you had a few mishap grades in your last semester.

also, i have to admit, you are really being dramatic with the title being "losing hope." do some more research about dental schools and you'll see that 3.8+ is GREAT.

also i wouldn't even consider B or B+ to be bad grades... only the C+ and that is only one grade that was in your fall senior semester. i'm assuming the rest of your grades are A's since you didn't mention them.

i don't understand. are you seriously worrying about this? can you not see the bigger picture? As in your OVERALL GPA? snap out of it!

iam sorry if the title came out little exaggerated but I was in a very bad mood yesterday because it was my first C+ and I was really shocked but thanks to all of you feeding back ,,,,,,I do really appreciate it

watsup with all those commas after your sentences? Is it referring to an ellipsis? What school do you go to?

Last edited:
Anyone remember that b,c grade post? Jeeze...

A&P is not a pre-req so you don't have to worry about it. You area strong candidate with that GPA so don't worry. Just do other stuff like volunteering and shadowing.

I think you just want to be encouraged which is fine because we all need that sometimes. Your gpa is very good although I am not sure about the cc credits. You may be upset over your last 3 grades but I'm sure admissions will forget about that when they see your gpa. Chin up and good luck with everything.

Thanks alot to all of you guys, your responses are indeed encouraging me

Thanks alot to all of you guys, your responses are indeed encouraging me

Bola, I think it very important that you get very good grades on all the pre-requisites. Consider maybe re-taking that class if you can during the summer and try to do better. I think your GPA is really good and for sure you will get lots of interviews. They like A's and B's .. C's are not their favorites. Also, You need to do very good on DAT. I am sure if you score higher than 25 on DAT the C that you got would not be a problem. So, good luck
I feel somehow in the same situation, I got a C+ in organic chemistry (2005) and now i will retake over the summer..:)...