Lost internship at MD Lab-- now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derma.devil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

To make a long story short I am a pre-med student. I was apart of this amazing DREAM MD lab as a intern doing microbe techniques and molecular bio stuff. I made a big mistake ( I suppose) and the PI was gracious to give me another chance to redeem myself. Unfortunately it wasn't enough and I was let go from the lab and not to return this semester. I was kinda bummed- but not surprised because I was also dealing with schoolwork, a job, the lab position, and mental health stuff. I am not sure what to do from here as I was hoping to get a letter of Rec from the PI. I feel like Im done with lab work for the rest of my career, but I feel sad. What should my response be? Should i still try to get a letter of rec or maybe tips on how to improve? Should I bother to look into different labs?

As reference I feel like I need an experience that lasts a really long time to show my commitment-- All my ECs except for a few, have lasted only 6-8 months and this was the second lab I had been in. Any advice where to go from here ? :(

Thxx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

To make a long story short I am a pre-med student. I was apart of this amazing DREAM MD lab as a intern doing microbe techniques and molecular bio stuff. I made a big mistake ( I suppose) and the PI was gracious to give me another chance to redeem myself. Unfortunately it wasn't enough and I was let go from the lab and not to return this semester. I was kinda bummed- but not surprised because I was also dealing with schoolwork, a job, the lab position, and mental health stuff. I am not sure what to do from here as I was hoping to get a letter of Rec from the PI. I feel like Im done with lab work for the rest of my career, but I feel sad. What should my response be? Should i still try to get a letter of rec or maybe tips on how to improve? Should I bother to look into different labs?

As reference I feel like I need an experience that lasts a really long time to show my commitment-- All my ECs except for a few, have lasted only 6-8 months and this was the second lab I had been in. Any advice where to go from here ? :(

Thxx

I don't think you should go back. If they gave you the boot, it's because you weren't showing that commitment from the get go. The chances of getting a good LOR are really low there.

But this shouldn't be the end all. Try a different department and contact some other labs if you are really wanting/needing that research experience for your medical school application.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a story: I was let go from a FT research job as a tech because of mental health issues and didn't know how to cope. I still got another research job down the road and now have an MD acceptance. Don't give up hope.

I'd give up on tha LOR. You wouldn't have to put that on your AMCAS/resume. I'd get control over what exactly caused you to lose the position. Take control of your mental health issue; lessen the course work; or just learn to be more efficient. Take this as a learning opportunity rather than a failure. Then, when you think you have a better handle on things, start looking for job listings or contacting different departments or PIs on potentially doing work with them.