Lost, looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bails

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends, new poster.

So, as the title implies, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do when I graduate. I'm a junior in college, 20 years old, and I have a current GPA of a 2.78, with a science GPA that's even lower. I used to be pre-med, and when I graduated high school, I was the only one in my family that graduated high school with honors, and I had my sights set on the MD/Ph.D. path.

But, stuff in my life happened, my GPA slipped, I messed up in my science classes, and my mental health is awful. Right now I'm focusing on getting refocused and not procrastinating so much in my classes, and actually changing the way that I view life.

But I was focused on getting into Psychiatry. I have research experience in two different research labs, extensive extracurricular and employment opportunities (focused more on getting jobs and accolades than I did grades for I hated my GPA and felt worthless compared to other pre-meds) and worked on figuring out my identity.

Right now I'm thinking about going for a clinical psychology Ph.D. or Cognitive Neuropsychology, but there's a part of me that still wants to become an ER doctor or a psychiatrist, but I lost the motivation to study and I find myself floundering. Honestly, the past few weeks I've been seeing myself just dropping out and working a crappy desk job just stuck in one place, but I want to be able to become a doctor one day.

My current stats are tons of extracurricular and volunteer opportunities (including Psi Chi Psychology Honors Society, Crisis Text Line, and being an Eagle Scout) employment opportunities (RA for both Johns Hopkins CTY and my school, Orientation Leader, Tour Guide, and much, MUCH, more) and research experience in two different psychological research labs.

I'm messaging this board for, I don't know, I was wondering if any other pre-meds or current doctoral students (as every single one I meet seems to be incredibly motivated, disciplined, and on top of everything) has been in my position, and how did you work out of it? I'm working on changing my life, but it's difficult when you have no motivation to care.

Members don't see this ad.

Attend to your mental health first. Then worry about a career.
Yeah, I've been seeing a therapist and doing a pretty terrible job keeping up on my medication lol. Honestly, I think I'm just a lazy f***, that could be a part of it, or maybe I lost passion in what I want to do. Either way, my path seems incredibly clouded right now.