• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I'm not saying this to judge, but it sounds like a you problem more than a MJ problem. There are many adults that use it recreationally on occasion without it interfering with their lives
Amotivational syndrome is quite a real issue, as is substance-induced psychosis and first break schizophrenia with marijuana being the second hit. These issues obviously don't affect everyone, but knowing who they will affect is impossible, and knowing when someone is and isn't under the influence is impossible due to the long half-life of metabolites. This makes marijuana a particularly high liability substance for an employee to be using, as a negative outcome can easily be attributed to an institution recklessly choosing to keep someone with an established history of substance use under their employ. So whether it interferes with your life or not, the risk of it interfering with your work as a physician makes it intolerable from the perspective of most employers

About the Ads

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Is the marijuana laced with something? Or does the THC cause the symptoms?
In your expert opinion, do you think these people would have developed mania/psychosis without MJ use? As in some stressor comes up in life and these pre-exposed people get the mania/psychosis anyway?
Is there any research behind this? Speaking from first hand experience, the paranoia is real and horrible.
Didn't help that I was getting high with strangers or a person with anger management issues either. Not for me.
I see plenty of people coming in with dispensary grown cannabis that most certainly isn't laced with anything that develop psychosis. The *most common* second hit for my patients is marijuana, and I'd say >80% of my schizophrenic patients have their first break in the setting of heavy marijuana or THC vape use. The ones that actually listen when I tell them to never smoke again tend to never end up on my inpatient service again, while the ones that go back to smoking almost invariably develop schizophrenia that never resolves even with cessation of cannabis use. The same can be said for the patients of mine that have amphetamine-induced psychosis, but they are a bit more rare and tend to have better outcomes overall with regard to their psychosis for whatever reason. Marijuana seems to take two or three psychotic episodes to convert someone over to a lifelong psychotic disorder, while stimulant-induced psychotic episodes seem to take a dozen or more to permanently alter a person's brain structure enough to lead to their having continued psychosis despite abstinence from the substance in question.

Marijuana has a hazard ratio of approximately 2 when it comes to psychosis when all variables are taken into account. Your risk of psychosis over a lifetime goes from approximately 1% to 2%, which is something people should be more aware of.

Jul 5, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Amotivational syndrome is quite a real issue, as is substance-induced psychosis and first break schizophrenia with marijuana being the second hit. These issues obviously don't affect everyone, but knowing who they will affect is impossible, and knowing when someone is and isn't under the influence is impossible due to the long half-life of metabolites. This makes marijuana a particularly high liability substance for an employee to be using, as a negative outcome can easily be attributed to an institution recklessly choosing to keep someone with an established history of substance use under their employ. So whether it interferes with your life or not, the risk of it interfering with your work as a physician makes it intolerable from the perspective of most employers
I'm not in disagreement. Sorry for the double negative. I guess I had a poor word choice when I made my comment. I'm not saying Marijuana is benign, without side-effects, or that we can predict who it will hit or who will not. My only statement is that for most people recreational use does not affect them, and you can't use personal experience (whether it is yes side-effects or no side-effects) to conclude how it'll affect the next person. I hope this clarifies my previous statement

Also I do agree that substance use can interfere in your career in legal ways

Reactions: Mad Jack
Jul 5, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did say that "to me" part in my post did i not? And whats not judgmental on saying i had more of a problem than weed? Are you high right now?
You made a statement that didn't come off that way (to me). It sounded like you were trying to counter the point the other poster was making about MJ

I don't see what's judgmental of saying that it was more of a you problem. If you had a penicillin allergy, it would be a you problem and not that penicillin is bad or many would physically react the same way

I wish I was high. This is not a fight, bro

About the Ads