Lost Secondary App. Got an interview, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AName

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I lost my secondary application that I sent in to Loyola (i know, this was a really dumb thing to do) and I was just offered an interview (yay!!), but I feel really dumb about not having the application.

I know what I wrote and I did not lie on any of the essays, but it would make me feel better to be able to read it before I interview.

So, would it be really dumb (a large part of me thinks it would be) to call Loyola and ask if there was any way that I could get a copy of the application online?

thanks in advance for the logical advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

So I lost my secondary application that I sent in to Loyola (i know, this was a really dumb thing to do) and I was just offered an interview (yay!!), but I feel really dumb about not having the application.

I know what I wrote and I did not lie on any of the essays, but it would make me feel better to be able to read it before I interview.

So, would it be really dumb (a large part of me thinks it would be) to call Loyola and ask if there was any way that I could get a copy of the application online?

I mean, other than making you feel dumb and embarrassed I dont think it would result in any consequences. Its not like they are going to deduct 10 points from your application for calling in. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Hello All,

I think that would call attention to the fact you lost it, which might be a red flag. They might assume you don't really care much for their school, etc. If you know what you wrote I wouldn't call. But if there's any question that you may not remember what you wrote, or perhaps you wrote something that you need to practice defending, etc. but can't remember it might be worth it, just be prepared to explain yourself when they ask why you need a copy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that would call attention to the fact you lost it, which might be a red flag. They might assume you don't really care much for their school, etc. If you know what you wrote I wouldn't call. But if there's any question that you may not remember what you wrote, or perhaps you wrote something that you need to practice defending, etc. but can't remember it might be worth it, just be prepared to explain yourself when they ask why you need a copy.

When you call an admissions office, you usually get a secretary or some other desk dweller. I think that the odds of information that a student wanting a copy of their secondary app getting to someone that has implications on your acceptance is very low.

When you call an admissions office, you usually get a secretary or some other desk dweller. I think that the odds of information that a student wanting a copy of their secondary app getting to someone that has implications on your acceptance is very low.

You're probably right, but why take that chance unless you desperately need to read your essay for some reason? I've heard rumors of schools that factor student politeness to admissions staff heavily into their evaluations. I definitely don't think OP would be rude, but if it ends up being a lot of trouble for whoever answers the phone, they might call it to someone's attention (intentionally or unintentionally). Just my 2 cents though, it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal in either situation (whether OP calls in or not).

You would be surprised... I have seen notes in files that disclose much much more than you would want your interviewers to see... And these are from those so called, "desk dwellers." Don't ever underestimate the importance of anyone you speak with at a school, anyone there could ultimately have some say.

To the OP. Suck it up. Just wing it. Read your application again, maybe CV, know "why this school" and call it a day. You don't even need to do that much, but if you do, you will be completely prepared. Don't call, because it's really not that big of a deal. If they reference your secondary, they will give you a lead in. They won't say, "What did you say for question 2," or 46 in the case of Loyola's secondary... haha.

Is there something that you absolutely have to know that you wrote in that application? This really just seems like a big non-issue.

I never even thought of rereading my secondaries to prep for interviews.
I did so a couple of times, in case my secondaries presented a particular "theme" I wanted to continue or in case my interviewer asked me about a detail on the secondary. This was especially the case for schools with long secondaries.

OP I wouldn't call, it will only attract unnecessary attention. You sure you don't have any rough drafts?

Hello All,

Immediately after I submitted, I realized I did the same thing. Emailed them and they made it available, they were very gracious about it, and prompt too, although I would assume that now as things are much busier a call would speed things up.

Call them.

Also, the OP of the school specific threads include secondary questions. After reading them you should be reminded of what you wrote about unless you were untruthful (which I have no reason to believe you were nor am I accusing you of anything related).

Good luck at your interview!

Also, the OP of the school specific threads include secondary questions. After reading them you should be reminded of what you wrote about unless you were untruthful (which I have no reason to believe you were nor am I accusing you of anything related).
This is what I was thinking. If you always tell the truth, you don't need to have a good memory.

As long as you have high internal consistency in your beliefs and thoughts, you should be able to recreate the same exact answer and nothing you say should contradict what you stated in any secondary applications because it's all coming from the same underlying belief systems.

Bottom line, as long as everything you wrote on the secondary was a genuine representation of your opinions, you'll be fine! :luck:

thanks for all the input! I appreciate it a lot!
Still not sure what I am going to do, but I think it'll be fine one way or the other. :)
Pheewww this application process is such a adventure.