Lots of C's

Started by hrastio24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hrastio24

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, i just got my grades back today and I got a C in orgo 2 🙁 This is on top of another C in gen chem and gen chem lab. My cumulative gpa is 3.59 right now. will med schools actually look at the individual grades or will they just see the cGPA, sGPA? in other words, am I ****ed?
 
You're fine. Schools will see your GPA and grades for individual classes. They may ask you about specific grades during your interview or they may not. Its not a big deal. Just be able to answer why without any excuses and what you learned from it/how you took steps to prevent it from happening in again. FWIW I had ~15 Cs on my transcript (I only retook 3 of them), a D, and 3 Ws. The only one that was brought up during interviews was the C I got in Skills for Academic success (a BS class required your first semester). I flat-out said I was immature and didn't invest myself because I didn't care, then went on to discuss how I matured, took accountability, and turned my academics around. The interviewers nodded their heads, wrote some stuff down, and the interview went on.

Edit - Just checked the exact number was 16 Cs. 6 were in pre-reqs (Bio I, Ochem I&II, Ochem Lab I&II, and Biochem I), 3 of which I retook and got As the second time around (Ochem I&II and Ochem Lab I).
 
Last edited:
We look at everything. The top three are GPAs and MCAT. Just try to make these the last C's you'll ever get.

hey guys, i just got my grades back today and I got a C in orgo 2 🙁 This is on top of another C in gen chem and gen chem lab. My cumulative gpa is 3.59 right now. will med schools actually look at the individual grades or will they just see the cGPA, sGPA? in other words, am I ******?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're fine. Schools will see your GPA and grades for individual classes. They may ask you about specific grades during your interview or they may not. Its not a big deal. Just be able to answer why without any excuses and what you learned from it/how you took steps to prevent it from happening in again. FWIW I had ~15 Cs on my transcript (I only retook 3 of them), a D, and 3 Ws. The only one that was brought up during interviews was the C I got in Skills for Academic success (a BS class required your first semester). I flat-out said I was immature and didn't invest myself because I didn't care, then went on to discuss how I matured, took accountability, and turned my academics around. The interviewers nodded their heads, wrote some stuff down, and the interview went on.

Edit - Just checked the exact number was 16 Cs. 6 were in pre-reqs (Bio I, Ochem I&II, Ochem Lab I&II, and Biochem I), 3 of which I retook and got As the second time around (Ochem I&II and Ochem Lab I).

Wow what was your final GPA? Are you in med school now?
 
Congrats! damn this gives me hope- you must've had some stellar extracurriculars then right?

The usual stuff, maybe slightly better than average, but that's subjective. I also had a very strong upward trend with a 4.0 my last two years of school taking about 18 credits per semester of primarily upper level and graduate Bio, Biochem, Neuroscience, and Psych courses while working 25-30 hrs per week and working in a lab 10 hrs per week. So that more than likely played in my favor.