MD WAMC/School List Recs 3.93/518 TX Applicant with lots of East Coast ties 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FOMed

Reaction score
Hey everybody, recently got my MCAT score back and now starting to think about schools to apply to. I'm kind of in a weird spot in that I've recently become a Texas resident even though I've spent a very limited amount of time actually living in Texas. Excited about cheap tuition but also not quite sure about going to school in Texas so definitely planning on some East Coast schools. Thanks in advance!
  • cGPA: 3.93 sGPa: 3.93 Upward Trend with a 4.0 since fall of freshman year
  • MCAT score and breakdown: 518 (128/130/129/131)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Texas, spent most of life living in NY, ties to PA
  • Ethnicity and/or race: White Male
  • Undergraduate institution or category: LAC Chemistry Major
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 600 hours volunteer EMT, 350 hours working as a MA at clinic for a specific underserved pop (This was a pretty critical experience towards my journey in medicine have a lot to talk about also received grant from my college to do it)
  • Research experience and productivity:
    • Chemistry Lab (non-clinical): 1200 hours, 1 1st author publication with another in the work both in mid journals specific to the field
    • Chemistry Lab (non-clinical): 300 hours, 1 conference presentation
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hours (EM, Ortho, Family Med, Onc)
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 150 hours at food pantry
    • 150 hours coaching and tutoring underserved kids
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    • NCAA D3 Athlete (2500 hours) Team Captain, In charge of Community Service, Also pretty successful in my sport (All-conference, All-time Records at my college)
    • Leader of Club related to clinical experience described above
    • Will use Gap Year to do clinical research likely in Texas
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: Just kind of in a weird spot with now being a Texas resident. I'm not quite sure if that now makes it impossible to get into schools on the East Coast and therefore not sure about school list
  • School List: MD: All Texas Schools, Then not quite sure I'm not really sure if I'm competitive at top schools and worried that anything under that won't accept me because I'm now a Texas resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did your actually grow up? NYC or upstate?

I'll let others suggest schools. You're in a good spot, but I need to hear your mission fit and purpose to being a physician. Your athletics distinguishes you, but what do you care about as a physician?

Last edited:
Where did your actually grow up? NYC or upstate?

I'll let others suggest schools. You're in a good spot, but I need to hear your mission fit and purpose to being a physician. Your athletics distinguishes you, but what do you care about as a physician?
Sorry about that, I grew up in NYC and then Boarding School for HS. In terms of mission fit, I'm interested in potentially serving the population from my clinical experience which is not currently going to happen in Texas because of politics...

I think outside of that I'm interested in potentially doing something research based I've really enjoyed the research I've gotten to do (even if I wish it was more a little more clinical) and excited about being able to practice medicine in a way where I could continue to center some research in granting care.

Definitely going to have to develop this a little more especially for Texas schools.

Last edited:
Just kind of in a weird spot with now being a Texas resident. I'm not quite sure if that now makes it impossible to get into schools on the East Coast and therefore not sure about school list
As long as you are aware that you will be wrangling two different application services, go for it! The fact you went to HS in the East Coast will show up on your AMCAS and being an applicant with competitive stats will mean that no-one will really question why you are applying to out of Texas schools. That said, if you had to weigh your chances, you definitely have a better shot with the Texas schools. It might make sense to largely do reach schools in AMCAS given you will likely get love from a variety of schools in Texas. That said I'm not too familiar with Texas system and @wysdoc might be a person to ask.

If there is a spot in secondaries to mention why you would like to move back to east coast, do so. Once you get an interview, you can absolutely mention your love for the east coast. I'm currently living in the midwest but grew up all around. Depending on the school I'm talking to, I always play up how much I liked living there before. I don't have any big geographical preference and have liked everywhere I have lived, so its all still true ;).

Last edited: