Louisiana State University (LSU)-Baton Rouge Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm more interested in figuring out who is so invested in hating this program that they are making multiple accounts to post here for months (including guy below). I mean, nobody is holding their breath wanting to rank a Baton Rouge program in their top 3 anyway. I'm guessing a resident or faculty that got dismissed? If anybody has juicy info to share plz do, I'm bored before match xD

The question about the majority of the recent posts on this site is not whether they're negative or not. They are clearly negative. The issue is whether they're true or not.
The people blasting the program give links with references to support their assertions. Seems at least reasonably credible.
The people claiming to be members of the program give their opinions and personal evaluations - many of which are later refuted by the people criticizing the program.
Confusing at best.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's a hidden gem of a program. It can stay that way.

Good luck in the Match. You will be happy wherever you go (for the most part).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at LSUBR in feb 2016. It's an amazing program and I had a great experience as a rotating student. You get to see a lot of patients and the residents are eager to teach once you show that you're willing to help and excited to learn.

Attendings went out of their way to help me with match advice and some even contacting people at other residencies for me since my home institution didn't have an EM residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated at LSUBR in feb 2016. It's an amazing program and I had a great experience as a rotating student. You get to see a lot of patients and the residents are eager to teach once you show that you're willing to help and excited to learn.

Attendings went out of their way to help me with match advice and some even contacting people at other residencies for me since my home institution didn't have an EM residency.

Sent yah a PM

Something to consider - especially the next-to-last paragraph:

Editorial in the Baton Rouge Advocate Mar 20, 2018
"Guest column: Cuts would jeopardize physician training"
(I can't post the link to the article due to SDN regulations.)

Something to consider - especially the next-to-last paragraph:

Editorial in the Baton Rouge Advocate Mar 20, 2018
"Guest column: Cuts would jeopardize physician training"
(I can't post the link to the article due to SDN regulations.)

The significant part of the article quoted is:
"It is neither reasonable nor possible to dissolve these partnerships and precipitously move these trainees to other hospitals throughout the United States. To do so would trigger site visits from the accreditation agencies, which would likely result in the closure of our programs and our school along with the loss of health care for Louisiana’s citizens."

The partnerships referred to are the contracts between LSU and the private hospitals. It's possible that the private hospitals would leave their contracts if the State budget didn't fund enough money. However, even with funding, the site visits could still take place simply due to the continuous uncertainty of annual funding threatening the future existence of the LSU programs.

The significant part of the article quoted is:
"It is neither reasonable nor possible to dissolve these partnerships and precipitously move these trainees to other hospitals throughout the United States. To do so would trigger site visits from the accreditation agencies, which would likely result in the closure of our programs and our school along with the loss of health care for Louisiana’s citizens."

The partnerships referred to are the contracts between LSU and the private hospitals. It's possible that the private hospitals would leave their contracts if the State budget didn't fund enough money. However, even with funding, the site visits could still take place simply due to the continuous uncertainty of annual funding threatening the future existence of the LSU programs.

The issue of state funding from the state budget happens every year - this is Louisiana. Louisiana government as a whole always has budget issues and the state always passes a budget without reducing budgets for LSU medical training. Louisiana politicians love to make bold statements, and get attention from the local press.

My salary went up by about $3500 this year. Remember salary and resident funding is mostly paid for by Medicare from the US government budget - not Louisiana state. LSU medical school pays for part of faculty salary - rest is from the private EM group that owns the hospital contract.

We just had a site visit because we have had faculty leaving and new faculty joining. Additionally, ACGME was concerned about our board pass rate from 2012. Our program has had a large amount of change since then, and the current program director made many of those improvements. He was not the program director that trained our past graduates who had issues passing the boards.

We had no issues continuing ACGME accreditation after the site visit. Our current and last year’s graduates have had well above average ITE scores. These are the classes that the current program director selected from the match and trained all 3 years.

For the person/people trying to find dirt on the program, you will notice that next year one of the residents from the current second year class will be missing. He choose to resign and switch to Internal Medicine residency. He did this on his own accord, and our program was very supportive of him. He was not fired.

This is still a hidden gem of a program with an excellent training experience and awesome lifestyle outside of medicine.

Edit- I believe in me telling you ahead of time before any published record that one of our second year residents is switching to IM - will prove that I am indeed a current resident of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The issue of state funding from the state budget happens every year - this is Louisiana. Louisiana government as a whole always has budget issues and the state always passes a budget without reducing budgets for LSU medical training. Louisiana politicians love to make bold statements, and get attention from the local press.

My salary went up by about $3500 this year. Remember salary and resident funding is mostly paid for by Medicare from the US government budget - not Louisiana state. LSU medical school pays for part of faculty salary - rest is from the private EM group that owns the hospital contract.

We just had a site visit because we have had faculty leaving and new faculty joining. Additionally, ACGME was concerned about our board pass rate from 2012. Our program has had a large amount of change since then, and the current program director made many of those improvements. He was not the program director that trained our past graduates who had issues passing the boards.

We had no issues continuing ACGME accreditation after the site visit. Our current and last year’s graduates have had well above average ITE scores. These are the classes that the current program director selected from the match and trained all 3 years.

For the person/people trying to find dirt on the program, you will notice that next year one of the residents from the current second year class will be missing. He choose to resign and switch to Internal Medicine residency. He did this on his own accord, and our program was very supportive of him. He was not fired.

This is still a hidden gem of a program with an excellent training experience and awesome lifestyle outside of medicine.

Edit- I believe in me telling you ahead of time before any published record that one of our second year residents is switching to IM - will prove that I am indeed a current resident of the program.

Absolutely! The budget argument is an annual ritual for the Louisiana legislature. They all have apocalyptic predictions of how the State is going to fall apart, but then pass a budget after someone seems to magically find money somewhere that no one knew about until the last minute. This has taken place for almost as long as anyone can remember, and will continue to take place for long into the future.

They always claim that the budget will be balanced on the back of healthcare and education because those are the only two budget areas that are not untouchable. The other areas of State government and budget are imbedded in State law and would require an amendment to the State Constitution to reduce their funding. So, next year and the years after that, the legislature will continue predicting doom and gloom, and threatening to cut healthcare and education. Then, they will miraculously manage to come up with a plan and a budget that will keep things working for another year. Then, we'll all get to hear the same broken record again the following year.