Louisiana - The unknown place for me

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into several universities in Louisiana and wondering how bad the weather is in Louisiana. :D

Do the people in Louisiana not be able to attend a univetsity for 1-2 month annualy because of hurricane? :wow:

Thanks for any comments in advance ! ! !

Members don't see this ad.

Weather isn't too bad. For example, it is in the middle of December, it is 60 degrees out right now, at NIGHT. It drops down to at most mid 40s. Cold usually sticks around for 1-2 months, and begins to warm up February. We do not miss university annually 1-2 months. For Gustav, we evacuated only to come back to school a week later. Regardless of storm months or not, schools here are required a minimum number of days to be in service so you make it up. Even for Katrina, I think people were let back in after a few weeks, and students who went to school here had to transfer to sister schools or even have their entire class be taught at a different city (for example, Tulane Medical School was graciously welcomed to be taught at Baylor University School of Medicine in Houston). School always continues. Weather is great. Food is great. People are great. The two major schools in New Orleans, Tulane and Loyola are absolutely gorgeous campuses in one of the nicest sections of town.

tennisball80 said:
Do the people in Louisiana not be able to attend a univetsity for 1-2 month annualy because of hurricane

I have a cousin who attends Tulane. He has, in the past, had to be evacuated from the campus during hurricanes, but for no longer than a week or two. I wouldn't worry about missing over a month for weather reasons.

Last edited:
Weather isnt bad. Its about 64 degrees outside today, and it is a beautiful day. We dont get hit by hurricanes every year. We might miss a week a year due to hurricane/ hurricane warnings. It also depends where you live. I live about 45 minutes away from New Orleanse so i'm still close to the souther ends. Where are you looking at? Centenary for example is in shreveport and is a wonderful school(100% acceptance into med school last year). Centenary probaly doesnt miss any school a year due to hurricanes. We only get a major hurricane about once every forty years. I wouldnt reccomend buying real estate in the southern most parishes, but certainly dont let louisian's weather scare you off. Hope this helps a bit. If you need any more info just ask.