Louisville Or Nova......please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctors,

I have been accepted to both schools and :confused: I really like NOVA, but i'm worry about the fact that national board exam is on the first year, cause instead of 2 years to prepare, NOVA students will have only one year:eek: can u guys elaborate

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that it was "optional" after the first year. That being said, how does Nova do on the boards? If they are up there, they must be doing it right.
-C

At my interview at Nova, their board pass rate was something like 98%. Awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nickole:

I graduated from NSU-CDM and I was part of the first class that took the NBDE Part 1 immediately after our first year. I personally loved that option. Keep in mind, at NSU-CDM, you'll have all the proper preparation/courses to tackle the Part 1 in our first year curriculum, plus, you'll only need 1.5-2 months to prep for the Part 1 at most, you don't need 2 years.

You'll have more fun at NSU and you'll be with more beautiful people too (no offense to Kentucky people). :thumbup:

I vote NSU-CDM over Louisville.

Either way, they're both great schools.

Does any body knows whether its OPTIONAL to take NBD1 at the end of the first year in Nova or can i take it in summer of second year?

also i'm taking embryology this semester. do you guys thing is it gone help NBD1?:confused:

Does any body knows whether its OPTIONAL to take NBD1 at the end of the first year in Nova or can i take it in summer of second year?

also I'm taking embryology this semester. do you guys thing is it gone help NBD1?:confused:

There is no "option". We take the boards at the end of our first year. Yes it is a lot of work to cram it all in but from what I hear it gets better after the first year.

I'm a D2 and took the NBDE part 1 this past summer, and i did fine. First year is hard, b/c they try and cram in all the classes for part 1, but IMO it was better to take the boards soon while all that stuff was fresh in my head. Being in 2nd yr, ive already forgotten a lot of that stuff and i cant imagine having to go back and re-learn all that stuff at the end of my 2nd yr.

U do get about 1month off to study (which is also considered your summer), which IMO was enough. It's doable and i liked getting it outta the way.

Is it no longer optional to take Part 1 after the 2nd year at Nova ? I'm a third year student at Nova, and were were given the option of taking Part 1 after the first OR second year. We also had a full 3 months of break during the summer after our first year, and since then (starting with the class of 2009 I believe), the length of the summer break after the D1 year has been significantly reduced. Given our situation where we had a full 3 months to study, it made a lot more sense to go ahead and take Part 1 after the D1 year. However, since the summer break is no longer what it used to be, I would think that it would be better to take the NBDE 1 after the D2 year.

I had interviews at both but didn't go to Louisville (no money).
Nova sucks in my opinion. Everyone was really stuck up. Students told me that the college has facilities that students can only see through locked doors but never get to experience. The neighborhood feels as if it's in the middle of a freeway (which it almost is). I would say choose Louisville from what I have heard about it. Nova simply sucks.

I'll let you guess what I would say.

I'm a D1 at Louisville. I was also torn between Nova and UL.

I'm sure Nova is a great program so you have to think about all aspects of your life for the next 4 years. Dental school is dental school, no matter where you go, you'll adjust to your environment. Think about quality of life, friends, family, cost of living, etc.

The staff at Louisville is wonderful. The clinics are old as dirt. There are pros and cons to every school. When it's 30 degrees outside in KY, I wish I were at the beach.

If you think you may want to practice in FL one day, then definitely go to Nova.

PM me if you have specific questions about UL.

Congrats to Old School on accepting Louisville.

Thanks every body.....:D i decided to mail my deposit to both Nova & Louisville and research more about both schools:idea:

The staff at Louisville is wonderful. The clinics are old as dirt.

Some of the mock-ups for the new clinic stations are nice. Have you heard any time frame for when they might update?

Congrats to Old School on accepting Louisville.

Thanks!

Everyone still enjoy taking the boards first year to get them out of the way?

In your opinion what are the pros and cons to Louisville. I am debating between Louisville and VCU.
Thanks

I took the FL board at NOVA. It seemed nice, but the students I talked to had some complaints. Here are a few I can recall: not enough chairs for students to treat patients, not enough patients (many had to buy class III's for the board from a local service), to sterilize equipment was a pain, and you have to buy your own burs. One girl told me she has been using the same diamond bur for two years!!! Talk about causing endo from overheating the tooth.

Some good points: they get to give away 6 implants and crowns for free (so amazing to me), facility is new, the students were very nice, sim clinic is nice, and its warm all year

I am not saying NOVA is bad or good, just stating what roughly 12 people told me. Not sure if 12 people are representative of the class so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I took the FL board at NOVA. It seemed nice, but the students I talked to had some complaints. Here are a few I can recall: not enough chairs for students to treat patients, not enough patients (many had to buy class III's for the board from a local service), to sterilize equipment was a pain, and you have to buy your own burs. One girl told me she has been using the same diamond bur for two years!!! Talk about causing endo from overheating the tooth.

Some good points: they get to give away 6 implants and crowns for free (so amazing to me), facility is new, the students were very nice, sim clinic is nice, and its warm all year

I am not saying NOVA is bad or good, just stating what roughly 12 people told me. Not sure if 12 people are representative of the class so take this with a grain of salt.
i want to chime in

i heard very similar things. There are too few chairs for the students. This along with the higher than state school cost is basically the only downside of Nova. I loved it when i interviewed, and if i hadn't been accepted to my state school (cheaper) i would be attending right now.

Really a fabulous school down there. The faculty were really super nice, and they just came off as a great school. It's even more impressive when you consider the fact that they are a newer school.

I'm going to definitely try to end up practicing down in FL anyway...you really have a point about the "warm all year round" there's no such thing as snow

This was posted back in 2007! Hopefully the OP has already made a decision!