Loupes advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, not trying to beat a dead horse but I am getting ready to purchase loupes at our school’s upcoming vendor fair. I’m a D1 and am near sighted so idk if that matters. I don’t have the option to “just spring for the nice loupes they’re a good investment etc.” my absolute max budget is $1500 for loupes/light combo. I already plan on not going any lower than 3.0x mag. Any help is appreciated. PS the vendors coming to my school are DFV, lumadent, surgitel, Orascoptic, q optics, and Enova. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind the cord and battery pack there are some cheaper headlamps available on ebay/amazon etc. in the $100 range. Might help your budget. I've found it's easier to work without loupes than it is to work without the light.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stongly favor q optics 3.5. previous dfv owner. Try them all on and decide for yourself. Pay special attention to weight, optical clarity, and the amount of teeth you can see. I like q optics because they accomidate steeper angle of declination. This allows me to keep my head in a more neutral position. I will never practice without loups mainly for ergonomic reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Stongly favor q optics 3.5. previous dfv owner. Try them all on and decide for yourself. Pay special attention to weight, optical clarity, and the amount of teeth you can see. I like q optics because they accomidate steeper angle of declination. This allows me to keep my head in a more neutral position. I will never practice without loups mainly for ergonomic reasons.
I greatly appreciate your insight. We have gotten to try out a few vendors but very very briefly. The Q optics ones felt extremely light and like you got good value for your money. I was pleasantly surprised by the Lumadent loupes actually. Liked them way more than I previously thought I would. Surgitel seemed a bit underwhelming and were heavy (the models we tried on anyway). DFV is tomorrow and then our fair is Wednesday of this week. It looks like our "ergonomics director" is requiring we get measured and fitted in our clinic instead of at the vendor table or in a pre-clinical lab. This should bode well for clinical rotations I would think. Again, I really appreciate your input.

I looked Enova loupes and light at a recent meeting to be used for a mission trip - they were average, but adequate for said purpose. I went forth with a contract for trial/purchase prior to upcoming mission trip. With the approaching mission trip, I said that I desired to go forth with the purchase. At which time, they gave me a price that was literally double the contract! We discussed and reviewed the contract and previous communications. I was told that management would not budge on the new year pricing. This was very disappointing to me and would question the integrity and trustworthiness of this company. My impression is that they are not professional and integrity is in question. I have discussed this with my colleagues and academic institutions & residency programs in their search for equipment.

Reactions: 1 user