-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties
- Neurosurgery
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
loupes
Started by hotlikebutter
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Designs for vision is the most popular but there are other brands out there. Any and all reps should be happy to come out to see you since your likely to spend $1000+ with them and then you can see which you like better.
Get them early on so you can use them early on. There is no reason not to unless the cost is factor (if your program does not provide them). I got them early in my intern year and used them every chance I could get. It can take a little bit to get used to. Now it's second nature and its strange to operate without them. They were very useful as a general surgery intern when on a rotation where we did a lot of AV-fistulas for dialysis access. You should have them before you scrub your first neurosurgical case.
Get them early on so you can use them early on. There is no reason not to unless the cost is factor (if your program does not provide them). I got them early in my intern year and used them every chance I could get. It can take a little bit to get used to. Now it's second nature and its strange to operate without them. They were very useful as a general surgery intern when on a rotation where we did a lot of AV-fistulas for dialysis access. You should have them before you scrub your first neurosurgical case.
seems the consensus is for DFV, but my question is when should a nsg resident invest in a pair? programs differ on early operative exposure but when would you say you cant go without em?
thanks
your program should provide them - just ask them, it will likely be up to them when you get to get them but there's no reason why they shouldn't let you get them early.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
your program should provide them - just ask them, it will likely be up to them when you get to get them but there's no reason why they shouldn't let you get them early.
thanks for the replies. did you guys go straight to the 3.5 mag?
Yes, I have the Surgical Acuity 3.8X
DFV 3.5 EF... loupes do take a little getting used to, so the earlier you can acclimate yourself, the better. After a few years of wearing them you get to depend on them - now if I am in the OR without them I feel like I am operating from the next room over!!!
And I too would try to get the program to pay for them. Mine were $1600.00 back in '01 and I'm relatively sure they have not become more affordable since then.
And I too would try to get the program to pay for them. Mine were $1600.00 back in '01 and I'm relatively sure they have not become more affordable since then.