Love and Money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premyo2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some help in regards to financial aid and marriage. I will be getting married in late June before my first year of medical school. The problem is that I don’t know where; I have been accepted to a few schools, waitlisted at one (will attend over the accepted schools), and still waiting on some of my top choice schools. My fiancée has a BA and plans to get a job wherever I attend. However, since we don’t know where I will matriculate, she can’t secure a job. Furthermore, I am fairly certain we will not be able to stay locally, so parental help is out of the question. On top of everything, she cannot go without health insurance; she requires several prescription medications. So basically, we are getting married in late June without a clue of where we will end up or how to pay for everything- to bad love can’t pay the rent!

I know that financial aid budgets include my health insurance, as well as living expenses, tuition, etc… I am not sure what to do about my fiancée- is there other loan programs that I may use to exceed the FAO allotted budget? Also, when I fill out my FAFSA, should I include her as my spouse? I am lost here.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't put her on the FAFSA. You want to go in with a zero income. Putting her on there will assume you will be able to get income from her.

If you take out the max Stafford & a Perkins loan, you will be able to cover ALL of your expenses (just you, not her).

Your wife can cover herself after she secures a job.

If any problems arise, take out a private loan.

Thank you for your reply,
I was under the impression that most private loans (medloans, wells fargo, etc..) only cover the part of your school budget not paid with Grants, or Stafford and Perkins loans.
I have found a few that will exceed the alotted budget, so I guess I might have to do one of them.

premyo2002 said:
Thank you for your reply,
I was under the impression that most private loans (medloans, wells fargo, etc..) only cover the part of your school budget not paid with Grants, or Stafford and Perkins loans.
I have found a few that will exceed the alotted budget, so I guess I might have to do one of them.

I'd recommend T.H.E. (Total Higher Education) for all of your public and private loans.