Love letters from programs...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ECPSYCH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of programs have been calling/emailing applicants the past few weeks. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten any...? I know this shouldn't affect anyones list, but it would be nice to know if programs you loved love you back!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard from 2 - 1 email and 1 slow mail but honestly I don't think it should be a factor in how you rank the program.

I had one program (of 8) say they would be ranking my highly. The email felt slight generic which makes me wonder if being ranked highly means in the top 50% non the less it was flattering. While it's not directly influencing where I put them I must say it made me take another good hard look them and spent the time seriously considering how happy I would be there. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up higher on my list becuase of the time I spent thinking about them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had one program (of 8) say they would be ranking my highly. The email felt slight generic which makes me wonder if being ranked highly means in the top 50% non the less it was flattering. While it's not directly influencing where I put them I must say it made me take another good hard look them and spent the time seriously considering how happy I would be there. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up higher on my list becuase of the time I spent thinking about them.
And that's how they get to you :vamp:

For anyone involved in the residency application and selection process, check out this paper: http://www.jgme.org/doi/abs/10.4300/JGME-D-11-00292.1?code=gmed-site

Reactions: 3 users
I know a lot of programs have been calling/emailing applicants the past few weeks. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten any...? I know this shouldn't affect anyones list, but it would be nice to know if programs you loved love you back!
It's not likely to be meaningful unless it's a call from the PD asking how they can recruit you to the program. Also, the majority of applicants won't be getting these calls.

I received an email from a PD that sounded like it was trying to be personal but also sounded oddly vague/generic enough that it made me ask around and sure enough, everyone I know who interviewed there got the same email verbatim. It actually made me think a bit less of the program. I received emails from residents I interviewed with at two other programs saying hello and that ranking was done and they'd "love to work with me next year" etc etc--these felt more like being-polite letters than love letters. And I received emails from the PDs at two smaller programs telling me I was ranked very highly at there. All in all, it was flattering/reassuring to be contacted, but didn't change my actual rank list for me. One letter that was extremely flattering and highly personalized just made me feel guilty because for life reasons, I won't be ranking that program highly, even though I really liked them.

oh boy... people are getting love letters? This reminds my high school prom when most of my peers getting lover letters/txts and matched while I scrambled but did not match.

Reactions: 6 users
Imo all post interview communication should be banned and all communication should occur through ERAS, allowing for easy monitoring. Lol, maybe I’m just crazy

Imo all post interview communication should be banned and all communication should occur through ERAS, allowing for easy monitoring. Lol, maybe I’m just crazy
I would love this, but how would you ban it with any teeth? Even the FBI is having problems monitoring communication.

P
I would love this, but how would you ban it with any teeth? Even the FBI is having problems monitoring communication.

Programs should remove emails from websites. Phone number is ok. Not allowed to give out contact info during interview day or preinterview dinner. Idk. I’m just super stressed hearing about people getting calls and stuff from programs and I’m just sitting on my hands. I think this will eliminate a significant amount of stress on the applicant side. Can’t speak for PD/Program side but it is awfully stressful on our side

Well, we need applicant e-mails to coordinate dates, travel and all of that. PD's e-mails are every where. FRIEDA, ACGME, University web pages, GME web pages, as much as I would like lowering my web footprint, this will never happen.

Don't stress, the strongest programs do the least communication just like the weaker applicants are more likely to contact more post interview programs. I just find it awkward.
"Well, so do you love us?"
"Well I'm ranking you very highly"
"So we are your second favorite program". (I hope he gets his first or third)..

Oh and yes, even this could be viewed as a violation. We can ask if you have any questions we can answer and then count the silent seconds before you don't say we are #1. The whole thing is pointless. We don't change our list and applicants don't change theirs.

Reactions: 2 users

There was a program I went to that made me sign a paper about their "no post-interview communication policy" unless it was asking questions or simply learning more about the program and its residents. I thought it was refreshing.

Reactions: 2 users
There was a program I went to that made me sign a paper about their "no post-interview communication policy" unless it was asking questions or simply learning more about the program and its residents. I thought it was refreshing.

I guess that's another way of doing it too