Love OB/GYN but not Urogyn

Started by medmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medmom

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I LOVE OB/GYN both the obstetrics side and the gyn side. However I am not particularly fond of the urogyn surgery aspect. How much uro/gyn does the average OB/GYN do? Also, is it realistic to do OB/GYN and practice little or no urogyn? I have a feeling that the urogyn procedures may be a big source of income and therefore it isn't financially wise to go into OB/Gyn with the intention of doing little urogynecology. Opinion and advice welcome.
 
I think you may find that there are more people who love urogyn and gyn but don't like obstetrics.

A lot of the more complicated Uro stuff is handled by both fellowship trained OB/Gyns, and fellowship trained urologists. If you don't want your practice to include much urogyn at all, then one option would be to subspecialize and go into either Maternal-Fetal, or Reproductive Endo/Infertility. Or maybe even Gyn Onc would be something you would enjoy. However, if you were to go into general private practice, it may harder to completely avoid handling uro issues.
 
I recently finished my residency and did not like urogyn either. At most in most programs you will only have to do two months of a urogyn rotation. Some programs have no urogyn rotations. The wonderful thing about obgyn is that you can shape your practice to focus on your interests. It is okay to not like some subjects in the profession. It is not necessary to do a fellowship in something just to avoid a small area that you do not prefer. You can always refer your patients out who need procedures you are not comfortable with or have no interest in performing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I LOVE OB/GYN both the obstetrics side and the gyn side. However I am not particularly fond of the urogyn surgery aspect. How much uro/gyn does the average OB/GYN do? Also, is it realistic to do OB/GYN and practice little or no urogyn? I have a feeling that the urogyn procedures may be a big source of income and therefore it isn't financially wise to go into OB/Gyn with the intention of doing little urogynecology. Opinion and advice welcome.


Interesting....I was mostly interested in Urogyn...in fact, if I could just do OB/GYN without all the deliveries, it would be the perfect field, imo.

Too bad Urology is so competitive...