love obgyn but hate the personalities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reggiano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in the same boat? I love obgyn (current resident PGY2) but I just hate all the bitchy and gossipy people this field attracts. Everyone in my program is so cliquey, always talking **** about people, and constantly bringing attention to small mistakes in a petty manner. I didn't realize this during my interview dinner (and even if I did I don't think it would have stopped me from ranking this program because I had so few interviews and was worried about matching lol). I have no friends in residency, which saddens me because I want to find friends in this ****hole called residency.

I just feel very isolated from everybody here.

Sad vent over.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else in the same boat? I love obgyn (current resident PGY2) but I just hate all the bitchy and gossipy people this field attracts. Everyone in my program is so cliquey, always talking **** about people, and constantly bringing attention to small mistakes in a petty manner. I didn't realize this during my interview dinner (and even if I did I don't think it would have stopped me from ranking this program because I had so few interviews and was worried about matching lol). I have no friends in residency, which saddens me because I want to find friends in this ****hole called residency.

Sad vent over.

That's just residency. Not to perpetuate stereotypes but it happens in a female predominant residency and more so in OB GYN.

Stay out of the drama and just be superficially nice to avoid any issues.

Make friends with people outside of medicine or your specialty.

You'll be done with this place soon enough.

Practice is much better.

Im in a pretty laid back group. Enjoy operating with each other. Can bounce questions off each other. Good colleagues.

Reactions: 3 users
Residency felt like high school at times. And like high school, it’s only temporary.

I didn’t feel like I fit in with most of the residents of my program. At first it bothered me, but later I realized it doesn’t really matter because you’re in residency to learn, then you graduate and get to move on with your life.

I had a few co-residents and my family/friends outside the program to keep me sane. Having a support system is definitely needed in residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a dude and residency turned me into a petty b@&$; I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s a “when in Rome...” thing. I had a few resident friends but many of my friends were in other specialties or better yet not in medicine at all. I think some of the new dating apps have an legit option that says you’re just looking for friends. Also made friends with some of the attendings and fellows. But for about half of it I honestly just showed up, did my work and went home to cook a meal or something, incidentally met my wife at a cooking class. Maybe try to expand on one of your hobbies I’m sure there is a group/group activity in
Most towns with residencies that can facilitate meeting new people.

How could you not see that these are the type of people obgyn attracts in medical school? lol

Sad vent over.

How is it going now Reggiano? feel any better? please let us know if we can help...

i am having a little bit of difficulty with personalities as well. i am a very nice person, and i think i want to go into OBGYN. however, after doing a sub-i at an institution, i felt completely $hit on. maybe it was just that one resident, but man it was tough. any suggestions? feeling very down.

i am having a little bit of difficulty with personalities as well. i am a very nice person, and i think i want to go into OBGYN. however, after doing a sub-i at an institution, i felt completely $hit on. maybe it was just that one resident, but man it was tough. any suggestions? feeling very down.

Generally if your experience on that rotation was contrary to what you’ve experienced in other rotations (I.e all your other evals have been good) then it’s just that resident, if they’ve pointed out things that other people have pointed out to you (gaps in knowledge, bed side manner etc) than use it as a learning opportunity. There are a lot of itty people in obgyn often with an inferiority complex or some other personal issue that causes them to lash out, more so than in other fields in my experience (and I have reasonable experience in some other fields to make this assessment) but there are also plenty of mentors that are terrific and are vested in helping you grow in the field. If you love the field and can’t see yourself doing anything else than grow a thick skin and go for it. If you can do anything else and be happy than pick that instead. Also don’t forget that as you get older there will be many other things that will be substantially more important than your job even if right now you think this choice is what will define you.

thank you :)

i've had great evals at other places, get along with basically everyone. i'm thinking this one particular person is just exhausted and stressed, on top of probably a significant inferiority complex. we shall see what happens!

I’m in medical school right now and have stayed away from OBGYN events because all the annoying girls are also in it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’m in medical school right now and have stayed away from OBGYN events because all the annoying girls are also in it lol.

Omg it’s the same way at my school. It seems that this specialty attracts aggressive/catty women even at the med school level.... just an observation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk