Love surgery but its my last rotation. How do I explore/be competitive?

Started by L8rg8r
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

L8rg8r

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M3, just finished IM rotation. Have experience in Family Med, Pediatrics, and Surgery. Long story short (will happily explain why), I know that surgery is right for me.

Unfortunately surgery is my very last rotation before Step 2, so I can't (or rather, shouldn't) take electives until after. I'm scheduled to take radiology as my first elective (wanted to do IR but only gen rads was available), and then have one more elective before I start surgery next year.

What should I do? I really want to do plastic surgery (also considering ortho). I know this post reads like a gunner but I literally haven't done any research since starting med school since I thought I'd be going into pediatrics or internal.

Please help, any and all advice is appreciated. I realize I may have to take a research year.