Lovenox prescription label rule (mg or mL)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STAR3URY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the prescription label when we dispense the drug to patient should the label read in milligrams or milliliters? For example if the rx is for 50mg BID what do we write on the Rx label? Lovenox comes in 60mg/0.6mL. I would think we have to write "inject 0.5mL sQ"

Members don't see this ad.

On the prescription label when we dispense the drug to patient should the label read in milligrams or milliliters? For example if the rx is for 50mg BID what do we write on the Rx label? Lovenox comes in 60mg/0.6mL. I would think we have to write "inject 0.5mL sQ"

I would think either would be fine and both such as Inject 0.5 ml (50 mg) subq. would be even better. Usually what's on the prescription is adhered to.

I would think either would be fine and both such as Inject 0.5 ml (50 mg) subq. would be even better. Usually what's on the prescription is adhered to.

Yes but, how would the patient know what 50mg is if it is not specified in milliliters?

Members don't see this ad :)

I would write "Inject 0.5 mL SQ" and make sure we counsel the patient that they aren't going to be using the full syringe.

Demonstrate how much too. When I was at my ippe, the patients didn't know how much 50mg was and some couldn't read the label or understand decimals. True story. I always do that with the children's oral solution too.

I'm guessing you just took Part 3 also.

Yes but, how would the patient know what 50mg is if it is not specified in milliliters?

Maybe if you read what i wrote you would've seen that i said putting both is the best way :thumbup:

Please just make sure that the syringes have measurement markings. Some of the generic syringes were not marked, so you couldn't have a patient accurately push out a desired amount... and counsel, counsel, counsel.

Both but if you only had room for one value, mL every single time.