low 3.2 gpa no MCAT taken next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsunited123

Reaction score
Hi!

I am graduating from my mid west undergrad with most likely 3.28-3.3 in cGPA and a 2.9 in science gpa. I struggled a lot my sophmore year onwards due to mental health issues and even though I was able to show an upward trend my junior year, my senior year tanked because of COVID making my online classes much harder (part CS and those classes were very brutal in an online environment). I realize I have lots to do to make myself competitive and my goals for this summer are to take some upper level science classes and study and kill my mcat. I am also trying to apply to master programs and smps, but due to a lack of MCAT scores and late applications, there are relatively few options I can apply to. The one I am most considering is the Georgesquared ABS program, however they have a success rate fo 65% for health professions schools and I am honestly not sure if this is the right path to go down by getting this certificate and the georgetown masters that comes with it after. Is there any advice on what my next steps should be as I am genuinley confused as to what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend an SMP at whatever medical school is closest to you.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I am graduating from my mid west undergrad with most likely 3.28-3.3 in cGPA and a 2.9 in science gpa. I struggled a lot my sophmore year onwards due to mental health issues and even though I was able to show an upward trend my junior year, my senior year tanked because of COVID making my online classes much harder (part CS and those classes were very brutal in an online environment). I realize I have lots to do to make myself competitive and my goals for this summer are to take some upper level science classes and study and kill my mcat. I am also trying to apply to master programs and smps, but due to a lack of MCAT scores and late applications, there are relatively few options I can apply to. The one I am most considering is the Georgesquared ABS program, however they have a success rate fo 65% for health professions schools and I am honestly not sure if this is the right path to go down by getting this certificate and the georgetown masters that comes with it after. Is there any advice on what my next steps should be as I am genuinley confused as to what to do.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend an SMP at whatever medical school is closest to you.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I wouldn't recommend a master's program or SMP until you at least try to reinvent yourself through a DIY post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't recommend a master's program or SMP until you at least try to reinvent yourself through a DIY post-bacc.
I am currently signed up to take several science courses in order to boost my science GPA to the 3.0 threshold and gaining much clinical hours as I can working at vaccination camps! I was debating between a DIY post bacc and an SMP and was wondering what are the pros of a DIY post bacc over an SMP? I do realize that an SMP is high risk, high reward however I do have a dual CS and Bio degree so I have a backup and the SMP I had in mind before reading this was EVMS Med Masters as its in state and they do seem to favor their own students tremendously. I am currently taking my time to study for the MCAT so I can hopefully nail it on the first try!

I am currently signed up to take several science courses in order to boost my science GPA to the 3.0 threshold and gaining much clinical hours as I can working at vaccination camps! I was debating between a DIY post bacc and an SMP and was wondering what are the pros of a DIY post bacc over an SMP? I do realize that an SMP is high risk, high reward however I do have a dual CS and Bio degree so I have a backup and the SMP I had in mind before reading this was EVMS Med Masters as its in state and they do seem to favor their own students tremendously. I am currently taking my time to study for the MCAT so I can hopefully nail it on the first try!
It depends on your goals.

If you're shooting for MD, then it's better to go the SMP route. Take the MCAT, boost your GPA past the cutoff, and apply for SMPs with guaranteed interviews/acceptance such as EVMS.

If you're going for DO, then do a DIY post bacc, I would recommend at least 30-45 credits of hard upper level science courses. Having a cGPA and sGPA above 3.3 gets you past most of the minimum GPAs set by the DO schools. Take the MCAT and score above 505 (and try to score no less than 125 in each subsection). I would highly recommend shadowing a DO.

See the list of DO schools and SMPs in my signature. Read Goro's guide to reinvention carefully.

Last edited:
It depends on your goals.

If you're shooting for MD, then it's better to go the SMP route. Take the MCAT, boost your GPA past the cutoff, and apply for SMPs with guaranteed interviews/acceptance such as EVMS.

If you're going for DO, then do a DIY post bacc, I would recommend at least 30-45 credits of hard upper level science courses. Having a cGPA and sGPA above 3.3 gets you past most of the minimum GPAs set by the DO schools. Take the MCAT and score above 505 (and try to score no less than 125 in each subsection). I would highly recommend shadowing a DO.

See the list of DO schools and SMPs in my signature. Read Goro's guide to reinvention carefully.
I am shooting for an MD however I do have plans to shadow DO physician this summer! When you mean cutoff, I am presuming you mean the 3.0 science GPA benchmark, to which the answer is yes, I am taking summer courses to help push me past that cutoff!

@Goro @paradoxic_toxic I have a question about personal statements. Is talking about mental health something looked down upon by adcoms because I wanted to tailor my personal statement around my journey to recovery.

EDIT: My mental issues stemmed from social anxiety problems stemming from being in the pandemic and I had great help to overcome it.

Last edited:
I was always warned to not mention personal mental health issues because it is still stigmatized. Perhaps Goro or another adcom can give their perspective.

@Goro @paradoxic_toxic I have a question about personal statements. Is talking about mental health something looked down upon by adcoms because I wanted to tailor my personal statement around my journey to recovery.

EDIT: My mental issues stemmed from social anxiety problems stemming from being in the pandemic and I had great help to overcome it.

dont mention mental health issues.

sorry but if online classes in undergrad was difficult for you mentally to deal with I would not be confident that you would fair well in med school and residency.

dont mention mental health issues.

sorry but if online classes in undergrad was difficult for you mentally to deal with I would not be confident that you would fair well in med school and residency.
EDIT: My issues stemmed from being in isolation and living issues with landlord, I only wanted to talk about it because it did lead me to volunteering more (did so at the recommendation of my therapist), but I can just tailor my P/S to omit the issue of mental illness if its too stignmatized.

EDIT: My issues stemmed from being in isolation and living issues with landlord, I only wanted to talk about it because it did lead me to volunteering more (did so at the recommendation of my therapist), but I can just tailor my P/S to omit the issue of mental illness if its too stignmatized.
definitely omit. focus on the volunteering and what you got out of it/learned from it.

as a physician you really need to function at a high level no matter what is going on in your life.

Reactions: 1 users
definitely omit. focus on the volunteering and what you got out of it/learned from it.

as a physician you really need to function at a high level no matter what is going on in your life.
Gotcha, thank you for the advice! Will keep you guys updated as time goes on!

there are a bunch of doctors who have GAD and/or depression. it wont be an issue (unless you mention it in your application) if it's kept under good control
Ofc! I don't treat it as a weak point but a stepping stone in my journey of life that made me stronger! Now I am a better person and definitely will not see it plague me for years to come!

Last edited:
Hey man, I did a self directed post bacc to increase my GPA then did an SMP at EVMS. I Completed the masters in May and received my acceptance a week later and I am a rising M1 at evms. Feel free to direct message me of you need any tips. I can share what I did and what worked for me but what worked for me may not work for the next person.
Or if you guys prefer I can share on here. I just don't check sdn too frequently =X