LOW cumulative gpa, decent sGPA. Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babaganooosh

Reaction score
I am a non-traditional DO applicant. I was going to apply to both a Post Bac and to DO programs this year. Upon being verified through PostBacCAS, my cumulative GPA was much lower than my undergrad institution calculation.

Stats:
506 MCAT
Cumulative undergraduate GPA ~2.7 over 200 credits
Overall Science GPA ~ 3.7

Every program I have spoken with about their Post Bac or Masters program explains it as a benefit for someone who didn't do particularly well in the sciences. As a non-trad I came back to school to pursue Biology, over that time(2.5 years) I maintained a high GPA in all science courses. So in a sense, it was like I did a Post Bac, considering the course load and courses taken.

Will a masters or Post bac even make the needle move for my undergrad GPA?

What are my options moving forward?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

How many science credits did you take after your undergrad? Those are the ones that come out to a 3.7? If you separately did 2.5 years of biology, that should be a significant number and would show you are a different student even if your overall undergrad is still low.

The 200+ credits are all undergrad. I had about 110-120 credits in a Business degree, came back to school in 2019, switched to Biology. So, from the time I came back would be around 100 credits of science courses.

I agree, it does show a complete baptism of difference in academic ability. That being said, I don't know if I will be able to get past the 3.0 cutoffs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should try contacting some DO admissions offices to see how they would take it. My understanding is that you did business for a couple years, did poorly, took time away from school, then came back to do biology and excelled. Maybe some of the adcom members have insight on whether or not you'd be screened out for the low overall GPA? @Goro @gyngyn

Hi. Yes, this is exactly the situation. That is my concern, being screened out before someone can put eyes on my app.

I am a non-traditional DO applicant. I was going to apply to both a Post Bac and to DO programs this year. Upon being verified through PostBacCAS, my cumulative GPA was much lower than my undergrad institution calculation.

Stats:
506 MCAT
Cumulative undergraduate GPA ~2.7 over 200 credits
Overall Science GPA ~ 3.7

Every program I have spoken with about their Post Bac or Masters program explains it as a benefit for someone who didn't do particularly well in the sciences. As a non-trad I came back to school to pursue Biology, over that time(2.5 years) I maintained a high GPA in all science courses. So in a sense, it was like I did a Post Bac, considering the course load and courses taken.

Will a masters or Post bac even make the needle move for my undergrad GPA?

What are my options moving forward?

Thank you in advance.
What are your year by year GPAs?

If you took several years to go through your JR and SR years, break them donw by JR1, JR2, SR1, SR2, for example.

Do NOT show me semester by semester stats.

Also, contact your UG school and see if you can retroactively withdraw from the poor grade classes. This is a thing at some schools.

@Goro It did take me many years to leave undergrad with a degree. I have so many credits, I am not really sure where my Junior year begins to break it down for you.

This is from my post bac verified app:
FR-1.9
SO-2.5
JR-1.2
SR-3.7

Also, I did contact the provost and I am waiting for a reply to see if they can help.

@Goro It did take me many years to leave undergrad with a degree. I have so many credits, I am not really sure where my Junior year begins to break it down for you.
Do it by academic year.
This is from my post bac verified app:
FR-1.9
SO-2.5
JR-1.2
SR-3.7

Also, I did contact the provost and I am waiting for a reply to see if they can help.
Ordinarily, a single good SR year isn't enough data points to show reinvention, but if you spend 2-4 years as a SR, then that WILL count.

@Goro I'm not sure if this helps, from Spring 2019- Summer 2021, I completed 81 credits with a 3.74 avg GPA. I will work on the year by year calculation.

Also, from 2012-2016 I had completed 40 credits with a 1.46 gpa.

The 200+ credits are all undergrad. I had about 110-120 credits in a Business degree, came back to school in 2019, switched to Biology. So, from the time I came back would be around 100 credits of science courses.

I agree, it does show a complete baptism of difference in academic ability. That being said, I don't know if I will be able to get past the 3.0 cutoffs.

I had a 2.67 cGPA and had 3 interviews and was accepted all both schools I chose to interview at. With your demonstrated success you should be solid! I will say, try and reach out to the schools you're applying to and explain the situation because some schools wont care that you spent 2.5 years as a senior, they will look at it as just one year.

Also, when you receive any rejection, ask what you can do to improve, if they state the GPA was of concern, politely explain the discrepancy in your GPA trend and that your senior year was actually 2.5 years.

Good luck!

Thank you for the success story! I have been calling quite a few schools, some are receptive while others don't seem to care unless you are above their 3.0 cutoff. I just have to find the right school.

@Goro Thank you for the advice. To reiterate, you don't believe I need a masters or post bac?

Thank you for the success story! I have been calling quite a few schools, some are receptive while others don't seem to care unless you are above their 3.0 cutoff. I just have to find the right school.

@Goro Thank you for the advice. To reiterate, you don't believe I need a masters or post bac?
Try an app cycle and see how it goes, OR

apply to both med schools and some SMPs now.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. If I start a Masters this year, while also applying to medical schools, would I let them know I am in a masters? I am not sure how that works.