Low DAT score and Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trannguyen15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question. I have a low DAT score so what can I say to justify it during the interview or on the application? Or at least what I need to avoid to say? I really appreciate your wise advice.

Members don't see this ad.

some great ways to explain a low score are having to work/take classes while studying for the exam, personal responsibilities that could have impacted you, etc. Same goes for in an interview; similar approach to 'what is your biggest weakness' question, dance around the negatives. If a school gives you an interview they already justified the low DAT score and just want to hear you explain yourself. Avoid language like I didn't study hard enough, I was distracted, surprised at the difficulty etc which all show lack of preparation/motivation.

some ideas and pick what's true for you:
Super stressed when taking the DAT. Was disappointed after taking the test because you knew you could do better even before seeing the score. Listened to advice of others to not retake it but wished you did. If you don't get in this cycle, you'll retake it because that's the best and easiest way for you to become a better applicant. etc etc.